Search This Blog

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sisterly Love...

I love my big brother so much!
I hadn't forgotten that I miss him terribly, rather I think I tucked those thoughts away!
But being with him, is making me realize how much I really miss him being part of my daily life!

I am trying not to smother him, he is very independent. I am trying not to move things around in the house or do a bunch of things he really doesn't want or need done.

But because I am suddenly without my boys, I think I may be filling in the gap with him.

On the way home from the airport he picked us up in the big town car he keeps to take Mama to the Dr. and such... and I noticed the gas gauge was on empty... really empty from where I sat! (but my strong silent mysterious man reminds me all the time, that is a skewed view).

Later at the house we were talking and he was standing by a ceiling fan which was spinning precariously close to his head... and the 3rd time he swayed back and forth and the fan appeared to be seconds from clipping the side of his head... I told him to watch his head! I got a look, and he reminded me he had lived there for years now and knew how to navigate through the house.

A couple of days later when I was on the phone with him and he was bringing the town car over to where we were meeting, I gently reminded him the car needed gas. All I hear is laughing on the other end of the phone... and then he reminds me he doesn't need another mother!!! Wow! Even trying I had stepped on his toes!!!

Instincts I guess! But it made me realize I will have to let my teenager fall on his face a little bit more than I do now, when I get back home; or at least get hit in the head by the fan and run out of gas once in a while!!

I found out my brother didn't have his DVD player hooked up... I asked to make sure it was working and that he actually wanted it hooked up before I began my quest to get it fixed up for him (after all it was obvious he didn't need it hooked up as he had been without one for who knows how long), and he told me he had it all connected at one point running the tv through the stereo etc. but had given up after hours trying to get it reconnected... "good luck"!

Well my determination and perseverance mode kicked in and even though this wasn't really my forte... I call on my teenager to do this stuff now; I was going to do this for my big brother... it was beginning to feel like my sisterly duty!

After a few hours the first day... I was beginning to understand why he didn't watch many dvd's.
But I couldn't give up... I would sleep on it, and the next day I was sure to be successful!
Sure enough (I can't believe I just wrote that... I think I am getting a southern accent already) I had success the second day!
I was really doing a dance... but what it really meant, was I had no excuse to not do the exercise dvd I brought with me... ugggg!

Yesterday, I was really feeling like I wanted to do something else for my big brother... hooking up the dvd player was such a great feeling, but he was so used to not having it, was it really a gift?

So I decided to make him some chocolate chip cookies. That would be appropriate in every way.
I knew he wouldn't have flour or sugar, that was a given... but since the last time my sister was visiting there might have been some baking supplies. Yep, there was some baking soda and vanilla... cool.

So I began my quest for my next sisterly duty... I couldn't find a mixer (later found it hiding in a cupboard I was sure I had checked).
It was all good, I could mix it by hand... I was sure my Mama had mixed many things in this kitchen by hand before mixers came along. It was my moment to bond with those thoughts.

But when I got to the ingredients that I had seen in the cupboard... the salt was in chunks, so I had to grate it.
I never thought I would use this tool to make cookies.


And the vanilla, well it was actually empty.
But I found some other extracts butter and coconut and used half of each of them... maybe he wouldn't notice.
And hopefully all the cookies will be gone before he reads this entry.
I won't even go into all the issues I had with the oven temperature... let's just say those ceiling fans came in handy while trying to get all the smoke out of the house before he came home.

Oh well, it was the thought that counts right?

It was my attempt at sisterly love....
I think it might have worked, he told me last night,
he might be able to take a half a day from work today
and we can go horse back riding! Wahoo!!!
(that was so worth grinding my knuckles down trying to grate a salt brick... I think!!!)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

PaD said...

The cookies look good. I was always telling my brothers what to do and how to do it. In fact my sister too. I have an excuse. I was the oldest. I think that counts and then the baby just does what she pleases so go for it and have fun while you can.

That Coconut cake sure looks good. Did your mom make it? It's hard to realize when your mom or grandma doesn't remember things. You still think of them as "that's mom" not, "that's mom who can't remember."

Related Posts with Thumbnails