Search This Blog

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Family Fun... Archery Addiction...

Saturday we went to another archery shoot.
It was a little cooler and a tiny overcast, but I was hopeful it would all be clear for the days outing.
We decided to go at the last minute, so I threw on a hat to cover my unruly hair and keep my head warm from the cold. I can't shoot in a baseball hat the brim gets in the way of my sting and sight, so I looked like a "gangsta" all day, according to my teenager. I didn't care, we were going to be together as a family and I wanted to be able to endure a long day without being cold and miserable. It worked, so who cares what I look like... I was cherishing the moments!
These two were like children all day, so I am glad I didn't bring a dog to take care of too.

I love to watch the teenager shoot. He has his own style, but he usually gets the job done!

Once my strong silent mysterious man got warmed up, he was much happier with his shots too. He has a tendency to be really good at everything he does, so if he has a few bad shots that are a little off... it is pretty hard on him. He ALWAYS gets honed back in and on his game! Never stays out of tune very long.
Unlike me... If my arm gets tired I could be out of sinc the whole rest of the day. I had a great day except for about 4 targets while the string attached to my arrow rest came lose and my arrow was flinging WAAAAY left. I kept complaining it wasn't me, I was lined up, but the boys thought I was having a really bad day... until I finally made them watch my arrow and we discovered what the problem was. I was doing good to recover from that, so I was a happy camper. It could have taken me out for the day, which would have meant walking up and down all the hills through the rest of the course carrying my bow and not getting to shoot. Whew! We met "Annie" who was a mixed lab/border collie with definate hunting genes.
There were tons of whistle pigs out there, you could see them everywhere and hear them all around you. Some guy behind us even shot one with his bow and arrow and hit the little guy!
Annie isn't allowed to dig at home, but outside like this... they let her dig to her hearts content! And she dug and dug and dug... "all the way to China" kept coming to my mind.

I guess the fresh smell of those little critters was making her insane!
She would come out of the hole with big ol' dirt clods in her mouth, like she was right on their tail nipping and they just got away!
So funny! We laughed at her half the day!
On this little racoon, the boys shot first and I shot last... I knew my competitive husband was right in the bullseye shot, so from where I was standing I would have to "robin hood" his arrow to get in the middle.
I shot, we heard the arrows CLINK!
I ran up to the target with antisipation!
I hadn't split his arrow like it sounded from afar... but even better... I had pinwheeled the bullseye, while he was on the outside!
That never happens... he almost always beats me!
If I can get one really good shot in on him like this, its a "happy dance" for me!
You can tell he was perturbed by my LUCK... so funny! But we all had a really good time! We were so glad the teenager decided to go with us this time. There just probably won't be too many more times like this with him at home. It was a great family day outside in God's country!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails