Search This Blog

Friday, January 16, 2009

Lioness courage... (not for the squeamish)

Today was to be a big day... the unveiling of the incision and the most coveted shower.
I knew this would be the hardest part of my service to my mother. I wasn't sure I could do it, but I knew I had to try.
I prayed allot last night to be able to get through the unveiling today.
I got everything lined up and ready, new sheets on the bed, the shower chair in place, clean sanitized clothes and towels to put on after, and layed out all the supplies we brought home to re-dress the incision.
I sat in front of Mom and questioned her to see how she was feeling about the unveiling... I quickly discovered from some of her ideas how to do it without having to look at it, that she was much more nervous about it, than even I was... so that wasn't good.
I calmly explained to her, that I needed to see it so I could make sure there wasn't anything going wrong, ooosing out, ripped open, super red. Really not sure what I was looking for, but I was very confident I would know if I saw it was wrong.
The courage was not my own, it came from he depths of my heart and love for my mom... as I carefully pulled off the bandage and very technically examined the incision.
Here it is in a purposely blurred out photo... kind of looks like a shark bite!
By the time her shower was over and I was able to re-dress the incision, we had both become much more comfortable with it. And high fives were in order!!!
We were both so happy we had accomplished this, and it seemed the hard part was over.


2 comments:

patsy said...

oh my goodness- what kind of surgery was this?

you are a great daughter :)

lucky for your mom & dad that you are there!! I know - they know that-

Johnna said...

Whoa! I am very proud of you Beth, you are right that certainly was not for the squeamish. Tell your mom I said hello and that I have a prayer in my heart for her at all times and for your strength to help her too.

Love you!

Johnna

Related Posts with Thumbnails