Search This Blog

Friday, January 16, 2009

2nd shift...

My Sis picked me up in Seattle at the airport at 6:30am, brought me to my parents, gave me the run down on meds and instructions, and then she was off to work.
.

I can't say I wasn't a little nervous, the 1st shift caregiver was gone, and I was on my own. Very much questioning my abilities. I know that sounds weird, but with both my parents here and having health issues, I just didn't want ANYTHING to go wrong on my watch!!!

.


They were both still sleeping, so I had an opportunity to get settled in...

.


I always stay in my old bedroom, and there are a few changes, but still the same furniture in the same place as when I lived here. It always brings back many childhood memories for me.

I found these beautiful flowers... that is so like my Mom!

.

Later she told me she had been at Costco the day before her surgery and they reminded her of me! Awwww....

I love that she keeps the copy of the "For Strength of Youth" on the dresser that I had given them to help them learn what standards we were teaching "the teenager".

Oh to be young again...

Mom wouldn't agree to any self portraits, but I could get her best thumbs up.
She is doing great and being such a good patient! (except for the occasional attempts to want to show me what's under the edge of her bandage... quit doing that!!)
.

Tomorrow is the big day... she will get to shower, and remove the bandage.
A much more challenging time for me, keeping it clean and germ free... and weaning her off of the narcotics (which should be a breeze, she hates the way they make her feel.... and told me several times "why would anyone WANT to take these").
.

I was tempted to take advantage of the situation and find out anything and everything, while Mom is on this "truth serum" but she doesn't seem to have any secrets, so not as fun as it might be if it were "my teenager"... he he he or better yet, my strong silent mysterious man... I could make him reveal all his deepest feelings... hmmm that's a thought! (just kidding)
.

The doctor said to leave the wound open after Friday unless we need a light wrap of gauze on it to keep her from "catching her stitches on anything" YIKES!!! How is that comforting at all!!!
I am so glad "1st shift" was there to get all these instructions... it would not have been good for me to be passing out in the doctors office while he was telling me how to care for her at home.
.

I was so exhausted after just the first day! I didn't realize how much energy it was going to take. But my brother and sil and my sis all came by after work last night and are giving great support... so I don't feel like I am doing this alone.
.

I am so grateful for this time with my parents, to be able to help them out and "give back"!
I am so thankful that my work is so flexible, that I can take this time. And so blessed to have a family at home that supports me and is holding down the fort, so that I can be here.
Truly many many things to be grateful for, I feel the Lords hand in my journey!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I agree with your mom on the pain pills... they are horrible! I don't understand how anybody gets addicted to those things. I refused to take them after my c-sections and just dealt with the pain.... thats how much I can't stand them, lol.

Related Posts with Thumbnails