Search This Blog

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Melon secrets...

At Girls Camp we had some of the best melons... watermelon, cantaloupe, YUM!! Anyone who knows me, knows I LOVE melons! I could live on them, seriously!! But I have never learned the secret to picking out a good one.
-
We had one great melon after another at camp... how could 10 watermelons in a row be that good? So I asked the cooks what their secret was to picking out melons?

They told me to go to the produce manager and ask them to pick them for me... even if I only was getting one cantaloupe! They would come out and pick it for me.

Apparently being trained and paid to do that job, they know some trade secrets.

So when I was shopping this week, very tempted to call the produce manager... but I really only wanted one cantaloupe... so I took my chances. Plus I wasn't at my regular store. So next time I go shopping, I think I will ask for help picking out my melon, and not try and take any chances. Nothing worse than getting home and cutting into a mush melon, or one that has no flavor.

I got lucky and it is a super yummy melon, but it was pure luck for sure.
I do however know how to thump, smell, squeeze and look like I know what I am doing when I am in the produce section picking out a melon! You should see me, I have all the dramatics down! If they only knew it was all an act.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails