Search This Blog

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Time to think during Klondike Derby...

This picture reminds me of a thinking spot I used to have in Seattle. I guess when I was growing up and reached that time when I had enough independence to have time of my own, but still lived at home with my parents... I found thinking spots.
Places were I could go that were safe, quiet and didn't impose any rules or orders on me... where I could go think. Ponder the things going on in my life, goals, influences around me, future plans, things that made me happy, and I guess anything I needed quiet to think about.
I found lots of thinking spots in and around Seattle, this would be one of my favorites looking out on the rare clear view of the Olympic Mountains, and the ferry lanes. I am sure most all of my thinking spots there were near or looking out over water. There is something thoughtful about water to me.
Friday and Saturday "my boys" left for Klondike... where the scouts go camp out in the snow and sleep in snow caves. This year they were making hobo stew where everone brings a can of food (non specific) and dumps it into a big pot and it cooks together. The boys say it is awesome and turns out different everytime, with some chilie, ravioli, stew, or whatever canned food in that family you might like. It sounds gross to me. But it must be enhanced by the experience of sleeping in the snow, which sounds totally insane to me.
The first few years I was home alone while my boys left on this adventure, I would cry and worry the entire time they were gone, just praying and hoping they would both come back alive. Spending my entire time thinking about all the crazy bad things that could happen to them while they were gone. I guess I am seasoned now, and didn't cry so much but spent more time thinking and enjoying alone time over the past two days.
Things I took quiet time for...
to stop thinking while I was some chick flicks, that would never happen with the boys at home.
pondering some scriptures I had time to read
some great quality time with my dogs
I went to a leadership conference at the church and had some great quiet time to listen and actually read my notes and ponder them.
quiet time to clean up the house ( I know only to have them drag in fire smoke smelling, wet, muddy camping clothes, but sure is nice to think in a clean space while it lasts)
time to ponder my niece going to the Temple today
time to think about my nephew home from his mission in Braisil talking in his Ward tomorrow
thinking and praying about my grandma who fell this weekend
thinking and praying about my father in law and his pain and trials with cancer
thinking about what I want to do in my yard when all this snow melts
menus for the week to come
a bubble bath
I love quiet time to think, and while I don't have a "thinking spot" outside of my home here, I am learning to enjoy the quiet moments I get to be on my own, just to think or not to think. But quiet time alone can be a good thing.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails