Search This Blog

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Stranded Stranger in the snow...

Saturday we got more snow... so I would add another day to my list of days inside. Feeling pretty couped up, especially when my man went out coyote hunting without me. (He has friends, and I got my turn... but his bff wanted a turn this weekend. I can share... sometimes... pout).
By the end of the day, I think he knew I was really feeling the walls closing in, (I tend to sigh allot in this mode) and he mentioned ice cream sounding good to him. Within 2.5 seconds the teenager and I were by the door with boots and hats and gloves and coats on ready to roll.One look outside at the weather, and he started to back track on the idea, but it was too late. We were already primed ready to get out of the house.
Thinking logically we should have probably listened to the man of the house and not ventured out in bad weather, but he said "ice cream"!

Trying to get a self portrait with the teenager can be heartbreaking... even if he is teasing. Remind me not to force him into pictures anymore. He's such a brat!!!
He did kiss and make up when I saw the picture... but the damage to Mom's heart was already done :(

We spent way too much time picking out an ice cream flavor at the store. None of us like the same flavor, and even knowing that going in to it... I still get excited to go get ice cream. It is something I remember doing with my Dad, and I always had fond memories of that. But this gang is another story.

In the meantime, it began snowing outside! Allot! It was blustery and blowing and snowing. A real white knuckle ride home. Then we pass by a car on our side of the road, it just seemed to be pulled off to the side.

We had passed a fire truck with flashing lights and sirens a mile back and had to pull off to let it by, maybe this car had done the same and just taking a breather. As we approached we realized their tires were spinning forward and backward and not moving the vehicle one inch.

Then as we passed my Strong Silent Mysterious Man said "oh no, its a young girl driving", he looked at me and I immediately teared up. We couldn't leave her on the side of the road like that... what if it were one of our neices (we had just been talking about our sweet Brittany driving home from Utah), what if it were one of our own young women in our Ward, or one of my girls in our Stake?? I didn't have to say anything... he knew just what I was thinking... he pulled right over. He and the teenager jumped out of the car and ran back to help her. All these cars were traveling this road and nobody was stopping!

As he approached the car she rolled down her window. I was so fearful she would be afraid of him... if it were one of "my girls" I would WANT them to be. But he said he shouted out as he approached the car "are you having some trouble?" "My wife is in the car, we can help to push you out".... he said she sounded so relieved that someone had stopped when she replied, "do you want to drive it?.... handing him the keys through the window".

So much for being fearful! She had just gotten her license and was driving her new car with the low profile tires and just couldn't get any traction at all. My man instructed her to stay in the car, and she would do fine driving, he would tell her what to do.

Together as I watched from our car they pushed from the back, and then the front... the car was light, but it wasn't getting any traction with those tires. Eventually, another man stopped with a truck and a rope, and they worked and worked and got it out onto the road.

I was so happy I didn't have to talk "my boys" into helping her, that they wanted to and were willing to on their own. My Man is most always pretty good about it, but there have been a few times that he hasn't felt good about a situation and chose to mind his own business and let someone else help. I suppose there are those times, that is appropriate, we have to be so very careful. It is very sad to me, that we have to be so afraid of each other in this world, but this wasn't one of those times... we needed to stop and help her. I am so grateful everyone was okay!

I didn't actually get the final pull back onto the road on video, it scared me, the car was flipping left and right, looking like a fish on the end of a line, and where the heck was my teenager? Praying he wasn't in the line, or under the car at this point.

But you can see the weather was not that which we could leave this girl, someone's daughter, someone's neice on the side of the road stuck in the snow. As I prayed she would make it home okay, her Mom drove and would follow her home.

My poor teenager, this probably won't help in his plea to get his drivers license any time soon.

1 comment:

PaD said...

My gosh that looked awful. I'd have been scared to death. I'm glad you were able to help her. I'm sure glad we're flying on our trip.

Related Posts with Thumbnails