Search This Blog

Monday, February 11, 2008

Klondike Derby 2008...

Klondike Derby 2008
My Strong Silent Mysterious Man and his troop headed up for Klondike on Friday night.
It was a later start than they had hoped for, but had to wait on enough leaders to get off work etc. They finally made it out, but not before dark this year.
I couldn't believe it when they came back and told me they slept in cabins this year. They were not elaborate or anything, but they certainly weren't the traditional snow caves. So to keep the boys from feeling too nistalgic, the leaders built blocks over the doors of the cabins with snow during the night, so they had to dig out in the morning. he he he... I love it!

They had the best cook in Idaho up there, and I bet they were smelling a mighty good breakfast while they were trapped and digging their way out.

My Man is such a good sport, he made this self portrait of his chicken hawk hair... the boys were giving him a bad time about his dooo when he took off his hat to pray.

They had plenty of snow this year... I love this a grown man making snow angels... only at Klondike do they totally let their hair down like this.

"et the competition begin"

I think the races and competitions are the boys favorite part of Klondike.

Our boys have dominated over the past two years, but this year... they struggled with the fire starting competition and fell behind. It was good for them to be so humbled.

And it doesn't really break a mom's heart that her son and the friends he hangs out with aren't good fire bugs... he he he.

It always surprises me to learn that this is their favorite camp out of the whole season... but true to tradition, "A good time was had by all".

I think "my man" is getting sentimental in his old age... I LOVE this picture!!

Chocolate lips and all.

These shots are priceless... he has really grown to love the boys while he has been serving as scout master. It shows in these pictures of "his boys".

About an hour after he had been home, we recieved a visit from a member of the Bishopric who came by to release him from his calling as Scout Master. He cried, it was a somber moment, but we knew his time had come to move on to a new challenge. He was called to serve over the 16-18 year old boys... so he will still be in the Young Mens program. And our teenager will be moving up into his group in June. So it will be a good calling for him to teach these young men as they prepare to serve missions, go to college, and become husbands and fathers.

He will be a wonderful leader for them. He has a tender heart, but he is tough as nails. I love him, and I learn more about who he is everyday. Strong, Silent, and Mysterious... with lots and lots of patience!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are wonderful pictures... who is that strong silent mysterious man????

Johnna said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures and your thoughts and feelings about my little brother. I am grateful that he is in you tender care! Love you all....Johnna.

Johnna said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures and your thoughts and feelings about my little brother. I am grateful that he is in you tender care! Love you all....Johnna.

PaD said...

I'm sad that he is not scout master anymore. I know he'll do great with the older boys tho. That's a hard age for them. They can go either way so easily.

You're great. Thanks for everything you do for my boy. Love Mom D

Related Posts with Thumbnails