Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Remembering the Alamo...

Remember the DNA Project?

Well this week we are remembering the Alamo! The teenager is growing up... he actually started this history project (that he had 3 weeks to work on) 3 days before it was due... instead of springing it on me the night before... my baby is really growing up!
.
Just like any other last minute project... he has been thinking about it for the entire 3 weeks and has some kind of elaborate plan in his head. Carrying out that idea is an entire other story! So as it goes my job is to alter each piece of his "grand scheme" to fit our budget, so I am not spending $40k for an "A" in History.
.
It started with the armies... we had to have something to represent something like 6,000 to 250 ratio of armies. He had in his head plastic army men. I KNOW... I tried to detour him... there were no bazooka's at the Alamo... but I was informed "it is just a representation"! Open my mind a little... right!
.
So after combing the entire area for 6,000+ army men (who knew they would be soooo hard to find) we finally found them at.... get this... dah dah dah... the dollar store! Yippeee!! I was loving that, and I did manage to get him to scale down the ratio to a manageable number.
.
I could just envision us on Wed night at 2am still gluing 6,000 army men on the project!
My next determent would be his need for enough wooden dowels to shave the tops to a point and build a fort scene. I KNOW exactly how much wooden dowels cost, and even the thought of having to cut and shave each one to a point... AHHHHH!
.
think... think... think....

The dead tree... that's it!
.
I suggested to GW (George Washington) who had just cut down this tree last week (as it still lays in my back yard... I guess we were waiting for a proper memorial or something)... use the tree for your fort!

One of my better ideas! It gets rid of the tree AND serves as a FREE donation to the history project! (until I did some research on the Alamo myself, and the main fort is made of these stucco looking stones... shhhhh don't tell the teenager, the fort is looking pretty authentic, and I don't need any meltdowns on the day before the project is due... "it's a representation")


It is looking like it is coming together... some paint , a little dirt and sage brush, clip off the bazookas and we could be close. Although I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch... it's not over til it's over!
.
I am really sarcastic in my posts, especially about my teenager... but I love him with ALL MY HEART, and he is really a good kid... I couldn't be more proud and I am sure these crazy memories will be all I hang on to when he leaves home! Sarcasm is just how I seem to deal with it all in the moment.
But I am cherishing... I promise!!

2 comments:

patsy said...

WOO HOOO! Hooray for growing up-

I've been to the Alamo- it was surprisingly really fun. SanAntonio- is one of my favorite cities.

libertyfolk said...

Great photos. Tells all about what y'all are doing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails