Search This Blog

Friday, January 2, 2009

Marley & Me...

In my quest to become a reader in my middle age... a visiting teaching sister gave me a book in November.

"Marley & Me"

She suggested it to be a good read, well written, and said since I loved dogs so much, and owned labs, I would probably relate and really get into this book.

So since I knew I would have allot of traveling time to read I accepted it and packed it in my airplane bags. The day before I left, I heard on the television the movie would be coming out on Christmas. I was not sure if that was going to be motivation for me, or the end of my attempt to read the book, knowing I could go catch it on film and save me all the time and effort of having to actually read it.

I wanted to try, I didn't want to be a failure at this reading thing... and I admired my vt sister so much, I really wanted to be able to tell her, I did it, I read the book!

I took it out a few times to read on the plane, each time having to put it away after the inevitable sleepiness would come over me. But I did find myself loving the way it was written, and I could relate in the first chapters completely... especially when he described going to the breeders... and all the things they didn't exactly reveal about Marleys parents.

I found myself laughing and crying! Who knew you could laugh from reading a book, but laugh I did, and even out loud at times! I knew this would be good, if it were making me laugh out loud!!

Since I was traveling with my Mom, I tried to explain to her what a great book it was... having fun, talking about books all of a sudden. I knew she wouldn't be able to relate unless she was reading it too. So when I wasn't reading it, I let her read... but carefully watched to make sure she didn't pass me up, as I knew that would be the end of my reading... I would just ask her to tell me what happened and I wouldn't have to read it myself.

I am such a lazy reader, but I do know this about myself... so I am careful to avoid all the pitfalls. And there are many.

After many nights and plane trips and car rides later... I finally finished the book on New Years Eve... so I officially read an entire book in 2008! Silly I know, but quite an accomplishment for me!!! Really!!!!

Now I am ready to go see the movie... http://marleyandmemovie.com/

Knowing the sad parts, I am a little nervous, I am sure I will cry! And I hate to cry! But I can't wait to see the movie!

I have found the Authors blog and I love his writing so well, I can't wait to read all of his posts and especially anxious to read more about Woodson (I love that name) and Gracie his labs since Marley!

http://www.johngroganbooks.com/blog/index.html

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Good for you! I LOVE to read... it is one of my favorite things to do. I think it is all about finding what it is you love to read.

M said...

I saw the movie first and loved it so much that I bought the book, I myself am not a fan of reading but the movie was so amazing I had to buy the book and read it. I am on the 6th chapter and am noticing things mentioned in the movie and some things that didn't fit into the movie. The Movie was 5 stars go see it. It made me cry so hard, I was the only man crying in the movie though haha

Related Posts with Thumbnails