Search This Blog

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thankful Thursday...

I am so thankful for God's grace in my life... really, he has trusted me to serve in a calling in my church that allows me to witness some great and marvelous things with the youth.
.
Once a year in the young women program their is an opportunity to hold an event to celebrate personal progress the young women have made during the year as they have worked on value experiences or value projects. And it can include talents ans skills the young women have developed through their personal progress goals.
.
So in my service, I have the opportunity to visit each of the 10 wards in our stake and potentially attend all of these programs. It is a really great way to get to know the girls and some of their personal interests.
.
So last night, there were 2 different wards holding theirs in the stake, so our presidency wanted to split up so between us we could attend both. My assignment was not in my home ward, so I traveled and attended another ward. It was a wonderful night, I laughed and cried.
When I got home, I found this shoe! Filled with mints.



One of the 12 year old young women in our ward took on the program as one of her value projects, there are certain requirements and one of them is that it should include at least 10 hours of effort into the project. No problem on this project.
She had to come up with a theme, decorations, a program, assign speakers, treats, setting up tables to display projects, getting all the other girls involved and participating, conducting the program... it is a huge undertaking!
I have only ever seen this done by a 17 or 18 year old.
I was so impressed, she has awesome leaders to help her learn and develop the skills it would take to pull this off. I had talked to one of her leaders, and she gave me an update on how this young girl was doing and the theme... I was really sad I wasn't going to be there.
So I was thrilled to have this shoe when I got home!
.
Check it out... it's made of folded paper, not just cute as a paper shoe, I would wear this!!
Except I have big ol' ugly step sister feet... and only Cinderella would it fit.
The scripture quote that is tied to it...
"Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God" D&C 18:10
.
Souls... I love it!
I heard she had assigned each girl one of the 7 values from the YW theme, Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice and Accountability, Good Works, and Integrity... and a shoe that fit them and that value and talk about what it meant to them.
A very cute theme, great ideas, I can't wait to talk to her and find out how she felt about all the work and how it turned out.
I am so thankful for inspired programs to help us teach our youth such valuable skills and develop talents.
________________________________
Something else that hit me this week, is that I am so thankful for good examples in leaders that are so steadfast and in tuned to my teenager!
We came home from a meeting at the church on Tuesday night, and my teenager rushed to get on the computer and print this!!!

When I asked him what it was all about... he said for a long time, every time he sees one of our leaders he says to him "Do Better"... smiles gives him a big hand shake that turns into a hug pat on the back thing that men do.

And he said it just always makes him stand a little taller and WANT to "do better"!

(at first I am a little miffed that I didn't think of it... all the long lectures and talks and screaming and begging and pounding my head against the wall... and all it takes is two little words)

But then I realize... sometimes it does take a village to raise a child. He doesn't always act like he is listening to me, or his Dad, but we know from his actions he hears us. Sometimes something said and taught repeatedly through actions and deeds means more to him in an instant... and totally supports everything we have been teaching him all his life!

This was huge... he is now wanting to adopt it as his Senior quote next year. I hope it sticks, it is much better than any of those Bart Simpson quotes he was throwing around last year. Cross our fingers!

I am so thankful for those who are strong and willing to live their lives in manner that sets such a wonderful example to me and to my family on what would be pleasing unto God.

.

I am soooo thankful!!!

Today I want to "Do Better" too!

2 comments:

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

That shoe is darling and I love the "do better," story.

Rachel Ann said...

That was exactly what I needed to hear. Just a simple Do Better. How grateful I am for inspired leaders who love the youth.

Related Posts with Thumbnails