Search This Blog

Saturday, November 22, 2008

My town's Christmas tree lighting...

Since the boys are off camping and left me with so much alone time, I decided to have a plan for me... so I wouldn't sit home, sulk, and eat my way through the night. And since I wasn't up to painting the house again, I decided to call some friends. (so sad when I say it outload, I only eat or paint with my time alone... got to work on that more, and get a life!... this outing was a great start for me)

I had an invitation to the Train Depot open house (where my teenager did his eagle scout project, so it is very close to our hearts). They had finished the renovations in time to have a big party and light the towns Christmas tree along with all the lights along the newly opened up creek that used to run under ground. It's pretty cool, they are making it into a big park along the sides of the creek, with big huge foot bridges to cross, they have really gone all out to make the downtown lively and fun and family friendly again.

Since I didn't want to brave this alone, I called 3 friends in my ward, I knew they probably wouldn't venture out at night to see this on their own, and I really needed the friendship... so it was a perfect fit for all of us!

We tried to get into a self portrait just minutes before the tree was to be lit... but my arms aren't quite long enough.

So a stranger passing by offered to take it for us, I guess I am too trusting, because at the time... I thanked her profusely for her generosity (so nice of her in the hustle and bustle trying to get to the tree before it was lit to offer to take our picture for us)... and when I loaded the picture onto my blog, it dawned on me that could have been a nice Christmas gift for her, had she decided to take my camera and run with it. Note to self: Keep practicing self portraits when I am in crowds of strangers... don't pass your camera off to the stranger!

I am a slow learner sometimes. But all turned out well this time.
So here it is, the much anticipated countdown to the lights.


before...

after...
And the second countdown to the rest of the lights along the creek... only it was just too much to take all in at once and I missed it. But you get the picture. Pretty stuff! I just love the igloo!!! If I turn into one of those "kooky, put everything in my front yard at Christmas and light it up" kind of people... I want an igloo! And penguins too!



After the festivities we went back to one of the ladies homes and I got to make my famous cocoa! I kept bragging it up all night, and I made them promise that even if they didn't like it, they had to tell me "your right, this is the best cocoa ever"!
And they were all so obedient, and made me so pleased with myself and my (self proclaimed)famous hot chocolate.

We had the best girls night out! I am so glad to have fun adventurous friends who will brave the cold with me, take self portraits without complaining, and compliment me on my hot chocolate making abilities!

A good time was had by all!!!

2 comments:

Robert and Kristen said...

That was so great! We miss it there so much. We didn't get a chance to see downtown while we were there but it looks like they have done a lot and it looks like it is beautiful for Christmas!

PaD said...

It was nice to see photo's of your friends and mine too. I hope they're all well and doing great. I'm glad you get to do things with them. Mom D

Related Posts with Thumbnails