Search This Blog

Friday, May 2, 2008

It's Friday...

I love Fridays! Usually I have my Fridays all planned out, but today I have so many unfinished things to do, and I wasn't even supposed to be home... so I don't know what my plan is just yet.
-
I did stop by a yard sale on my way home from walking... not to buy, but to scope out their layout since there were over 30 cars stopped to shop. I found a few tempting things, but didn't have any money with me. Plus it kind of defeats the point of having my own, if I am out buying more junk to bring home.
-
Yesterday after the days events I picked up the teenager from golf practice and we barely made it home before he was puking outside of the car. He had gotten a headache and it turned migraine on him so fast.
-
So he was down for the count the rest of the night.
-
I didn't realize until this morning when I delivered the fertilizer I picked up for my bff that it might have been the cause of the migraine. I was even getting a headache from the horrible smell in the car.
-
I thought I would post a quick update on all the trauma of not getting to go to my nieces wedding over trouble with the teenager. I hope someday I can look back and laugh, but so far I am not finding much humor in the situation.
-
Maybe it wasn't all as bad as I made it out to be... after all I am the "drama queen at my house" but it did SEEM pretty bad with the 1st few phone calls and all the accusations and threats being thrown around by parents, but I will admit it has settled down allot since then.
-
The teenager had an incident after golf practice the other day with some boys on his golf team. It started with someone thinking their golf ball got picked up off the green, then name calling, then escalated to throwing of a club, and pulling off a head cover, then shoving, and holding down to get the head cover back, and a cell phone fell out on the ground, then moved to a car chase on the way home, well not a chase, but a "quick following" trying to lose the back car.
-
Later that night a Dad was calling parents to get his kids $300 cell phone paid for.
-
As it evolved the principal of the high school, the athletic director, and the head golf coach suspended all the players from the next days tournament. And they got a good talking to about their behavior, had to shake hands and say sorry etc.
-
The cell phone wasn't actually broken, the club wasn't scratched or damaged, nobody got hurt, and no cars were wrecked, or speeding tickets issued.
-
Then the next day there was another meeting with the coaches before practice and the boys have to be off the golf course by a certain time after practice... no more staying after, they just couldn't be trusted.
-
All the boys had a guilty part in the situation. Luckily my teenager was not part of the pushing (because parents were threatening assault charges etc), and he was not part of throwing any equipment... he just said some bad words back at another boy, and really not being a good example. So he was not in huge trouble, other than I was really really mad because the entire situation took allot of damage control which meant I couldn't leave town in order to handle it since his Dad is working so much these days. But as I said they were ALL Guilty of some part of the entire situation.
-
Then yesterday the parents talked with the boys about how to better handle this kind of situation in the future. They seemed to be better, but there was still some tension (I think mostly they just wanted it all to go away). Some parents didn't agree with the punishment handed down by the athletic director, saying it was punishing kids on the team unfairly. Some just didn't respect the principle at all, from previous incidents with older children. So having so many different views being taught is probably why the boys had conflict in the first place. The parents are way more volatile than the kids ever thought about being in my opinion.
-
Then the boys coach talked to them all together again before practice, and handed down an assignment to them to read the golf handbook from cover to cover, and write an essay on the section of golf etiquette, and explain why they think it is important and necessary for that section to be printed in the handbook and turn it into her by Monday.
-
So by Monday most everything should be settled down, and the boys have had much instruction on being a team as they go into district tournaments this next week. It should be interesting.
-
My teenager has learned allot about prayer, humility, and integrity over the past few days. Which is always good. And he is just trying to move forward and put all of this behind him. So we are too.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails