Search This Blog

Monday, January 28, 2008

Gordon B. Hinckley... 1910 - 2008

Last night Gordon B. Hinckley died at age 97. He was the 15th President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He has been the only President I have known since I joined the Church in 1999. And I have always had very kind soft hearted feelings about him as a man.
-
I shared some pictures and a few thoughts about him on an earlier post... you can go here to see and read them. He was special and loved by many throughout the world.
-
I had a very personal experience that changed my thoughts and feelings about his position in the church almost two years ago when my family attended a General Conference in SLC, UT. We had heard from others who had attended in person that it was a very special experience, but it did not prepare me for the feelings that would come as President Gordon B. Hinckley walked into the Conference Center.
-
It was immediately quiet, so quiet you could have heard a pin drop. He smiled and very reverently waved his cane out to us, and turned and waved to the brethren seated on the stand as he walked with his counselors close behind to his seat. From just that action, you could feel his love!
-
I had learned to love him dearly long before, but at that very moment I looked at my husband and tears welled up in both of our eyes. Without saying any words, I knew he felt the same spirit in his heart as I did. It was a great feeling of unity between us.
-
The feeling was not just my love for this man, but the burning realization that he was a Prophet of God. A prophet like those of whom we read about in the Bible, not just a prophet for my church, or it's members, but a prophet to the world... for each and every one of us. It was in my head at that moment that "he speaks directly to God the Father". The council he would share, was not just for my Bishop, or even just for me, but for all of us, and it applies today. It was an overwhelming feeling of hope and great joy, and I felt so blessed to listen to the words he shared that day. I knew these were not just words from this man, but what the Lord wanted "me" (and all of us) to hear, it was special council on how I could keep the commandments and why it was so important.
-
Gordon B. Hinckley served in an amazing capacity for the LDS Church, and I am sure there will be many tributes to him in the days and weeks to come. And I look forward to reading and watching them. I just wanted to write down my own personal reflections about him, to have in my online journal.
-
One thing that made him remind me of my grandfather was his sense of humor. He traveled all over the world, even late in his years. And one story I heard that has stuck in my mind, sounded just like something my Papa would have said... making fun. He was attending a ground breaking ceremony of a new Temple to be built... and as he walked up a hill to reach the site, he had his body guards with him on each arm, usually big bruit type men in suits. He said when he reached the top... "I would have been here sooner if I had not had to haul these two up the hill with me!"
There are many many stories and accounts of his humor, he was a very witty man.
-
I loved that he had a kind and gentle soul, and you could feel his love... but he was very direct in his council. He did not shirk around the issue, he always got right to the point, and you knew where he stood on something ~ because he would tell you. He had such a way of uplifting and encouraging you. And when he spoke specifically to women, his council always made me feel better about myself and my purpose in life. He had such a way to make you want to be a better person.
-
He always spoke very sweetly of his wife ~ I loved that he was so open about his love and respect for her. What a great example to all of us to speak kindly of our spouses, and not negative or harsh words. I am so happy for him to be reunited with her in Heaven.
-
I am very grateful for my knowledge of Eternal Life made possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and that it is available to every one of us depending on our obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
-
Gordon B. Hinckley a faithful prophet and servant of the Lord, a wonderful man... he is so loved, and will be missed.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Although I am in no way affiliated with the LDS church when I heard the news of his passing I immedialtely thought of you and was a bit saddened. Everyone has spoke of what a wonderful man he was!!

Beth said...

Sweet comment...

Thanks Lindsey!

Related Posts with Thumbnails