Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Hunting for Coyotes

My Strong Silent Mysterious Man invited me to go out Coyote hunting with him on Saturday, and while I am not a hunter, and cringe at the thought of a dying animal... I really wanted to spend time with him. Plus I really need to get in shape and keep working on my Health Factor, and I knew it would involve hiking, so I decided to throw myself in with both feet. It was a fridged cold day in the hills (well they call them mountains here... amatures). And snow still dusted on the ground from the night before, but the sun was going to come out and it was to warm up, if we wanted to believe the weatherman.
I took off towards the rocks with my camera to try and capture some of the beauty.
While My Man tracked and hunkered down in some rocks.
"He was gonna catch him a wascaly wabbit".. I mean coyote.

We saw some beautiful deer, with a buck amongst them. I was so relieved they were off limits to the gun. Whew! I was able to sneak up over this ridge and get a few shots, but I really wasn't too sneaky, they knew I was there. After a few clicks they quickly moved on along there way, first herding, then with a trot then bounding with all fours. As they approached a cattle fence line, they bound over the top of it one by one! It was amazing to sit and watch them. Totally made my whole day!

We hadn't been very successful finding any coyotes to shoot, they are very smart and stealth like creatures. It almost felt like at times we knew they were out there, but just couldn't see them hiding in the sage brush and wintery scene.
We came upon another herd of deer, and tracked them from one valley up over a ridge as I tried to get close enought to get a shot of them... they began running quickly, as we saw what had spooked them ~ a coyote right in the middle of the herd!

The blood started pumping, and the adrinaline rushing, as we both grabbed our weapons of choice trying to get off a shot of the sly critter we had been hunting all day.

The final score (if we were keeping score) ...

Beth 1

Strong Silent Mysterious Man 0

But a good time was had by all!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.... I'm really impressed and envious. So glad you got out and had a good time. As long as you can shot first he is bound to miss. It's amazing how far they can hear the clicking of the camera.

Anonymous said...

Also... yesterday we had snow...1-2 inches when we woke. After I left Roxx went wild throwing her body at our new windows. Outside were 2 coyotes playing in the yard. We have seen 1 but this time there were 2. Jerry went out and yelled. They usually run away but this time they looked at him and then proceeded to play some more. This could become an issue. They were within 15 feet of the deck. We might have to contract with Jim.

patsy said...

Beth~ you are such a trooper!! I would NEVER. Well maybe....
I LOVE the clocks, they look awesome! ~ pj

Related Posts with Thumbnails