Search This Blog

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Finally, we've been waiting all summer...

Finally the birth of their eighth calf or so... my bff (best friend forver... like the cell phone texting commercial... that's a good code name for her huh? then she can keep her secret identity) and I got to witness the birth of a new calf this morning. This cow has been pregnant seems like forever (probably longer for her huh?), and while all her girl cow buddies were birthin' and taking care of their babies, she was still fat and sassy, and no calf.

Now I don't even pretend to know anything about cows, but even I was beginning to think she really wasn't pregnant at all, just fat. But I would never question her "cowboy", I was sure he knew what he was talking about.

Well I cried at the sight, just as we finished our walk I saw her seem a little distressed and laying down, but not calm cool and collected as they usually seem when they lay down. Before my bff could even call her husband on the phone, right before our eyes the little calf appeared.

So my bff has what I call a light bulb moment... I could see something went off in her head and she didn't have time to stand there and explain it all to me... she takes off through the gate and into the field where the little calf lays. I knew I wouldn't be able to offer anykind of help physically, but I would go be there for her emotionally (not much help there either, I was already beginning to cry at the beautiful sight I had just seen, what a miracle), so well I would just be there and try not to pass out if she had to perform any arm up to the elbow slimmy tasks. So I scurry off behind her, slowed way down as I followed through the gate after her ~ who invented that latch, it must have been child proofed or something. Finally, I get it latched (I did at least know better than to leave it open and let out the other cows, A+ for me) without managing to pinch off a finger.


As it turned out, she was going to make sure the mama broke the membrane and cleared out the nostrils of the calf (yukk!...) she was such a good mama she did everything just right, so my bff didn't have to step in and do any of the slimmy work. I can't even imagine having to help with that, I would really have had something to blog about if it hadn't gone just as the Lord had intended. Thank you Lord!!

Mama cow was really eyeballing us in the pasture, so we quickly left her alone with her baby... I have to start taking my camera with me every where I go... this would have been a great time to have it. But if you come back, I will post pictures of the new baby tomorrow!!

I am such a city girl, but I love living here and getting to experience these beautiful things here in Idaho... oh I know there are cows everywhere, and this is not "Only in Idaho", but let me have my glowing proud moment feeling like it only happens to me because I live here and I am special!! And that my "stong, silent, mysterious man" brought me here so I could have all these wonderful experiences, that I wouldn't have if we lived anywhere else, just because he loves me so much, and I'm special!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails