Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

1st Day of Driving...


1st Day behind the wheel at drivers training for 2J's... he made it home safe and sound. I was trying not to be a worry fretting mother, but I am sorry, it wasn't easy to stay calm cool and collected all day long thinking about my kid behind the wheel of a car with a stranger and other mothers children ~ or better yet, other children behind the wheel with my baby in the backseat. Not many comforting thoughts came to mind.

So as the schedule goes the instructor picks him up after school, they drive until 5pm, and he stays at the church classroom studying for an hour until the class from 6pm-8pm. I give the kid money to go across the street from the church to the mini mart deli and get something to eat inbetween driving and class so he won't be starving at 8:30pm when he will finally get home. I give him very strickt instructions to call me as soon as he can, either after school, or between driving and class to let me know he is ok, and just to check in.

Waiting, waiting, waiting, 5:30pm comes and goes... no phone call. I hesitate to call his phone, because the driving instructor has one strickt rule on cell phones and if they go off during class or driving time, you fail! Pretty big deal, so in case 2J's forgot to turn his phone on silent... I don't want to be ringing him up if they got a late start driving or something.... so I have no other option than to wait for his call.

Pretty soon his Dad's phone rang, this end of the conversation goes like this.... "Hey ~ what'd ya grab to eat? ~ oh yeah ~ 60mph huh! ~ really!! ~ your kidding ~ ok we will see ya after class, bye!!!

I can't believe he called you? Trying to be an understanding Mom, knowing he called Dad because he was with friends and Mom can't make a long story short, and would ask him a million questions!

Still.... it made my lower lip pout!

"So what was 60mph?" Oh they went down the boulevard and when it turned 60mph he made them change lanes, and the other kid driving couldn't keep it in the lane when he turned to look over his shoulder."

"But it was fun, and he didn't get anything lower than a 3 and nobody get's 4's or 5's the first time out (apparently the scale is 1-5, 5 being the best)."

"Whew! So he is ok, didn't crash, didn't get scooped up by a stranger at the mini mart".

Forget that he ate complete junk food for dinner, and will be doing homework into the late hours of the night.

My "little foot" survived the first day of driving... and more importantly, I did too!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails