Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Taylor Road Show...

It hit me last night that our dog is actually named for the "Taylor Guitar"... maybe I knew it, but I had forgotten. My husband took me out for a date night... at the local music shop... I wonder how many guitar window shopping dates have I been on with him over the past 18 years?
.
A couple of months back the local music store guru began to prep my strong silent mysterious man for an upcoming Taylor Road Show... they were getting in some custom, one of a kind guitars for the show and since he owns a couple of Taylors and loves them, they wanted to make sure he was going to be there for this big night.
.
One night we stopped in to visit them, and they gave him a sneak peak on one of the guitars going to be in the road show... it is a solid body, made from a walnut burl, from a tree that was bought from a family in Northern California, custom made by Bob Taylor himself. When they pulled it out of the case, I actually cried. Yes, real tears... I have never seen anything so perfect for my husband EVER. It was just HIM!! This piece of wood is magnificient, and it looked just like something he would make. Of course he doesn't really need another guitar, but it would be cool for the collection! Even I would agree on that.

So we went over for a preview before the show.


There were some beautiful guitars.


And there it was in the back... the walnut burl solid body... so sweet, and I got tears again. Mostly because I have never felt like my husband needed a guitar before, and when I finally connect with one, and think he just has to have it... there is no way I can even justify buying it for him. So sad.


We learned some neat things about different kinds of exotic wood and all about the Taylor guitars.. it was a pretty cool show. Even for someone like me who doesn't play.

We had heard word of a surprise for a local kid who is a musician we know. Jacob played baseball with him for a few years. He is a year older, but his Dad coached one year, and they are a very nice family. He was drooling over this one guitar before the show...

And towards the end of the show, they pulled him out of the audience to come up and demo the same guitar.

As he jammed in front of the crowd, the guy from Taylor asks him how it feels... and he just grins.... then they tell him, well I hope you really like it because it's yours!

Happy Graduation!

I think his Dad was about to explode with joy! His parents were so cute... they had picked out this guitar for him weeks in advance. The kid had never seen it before. And of all the guitars in the show... this was the one he picked up and was drooling over before the show started. What cool parents.

.

Jim was pretty jealous... but we were so happy for this kid. He is really a great kid, very humble and works hard. He totally deserves this sweet guitar.

.

It made for a really happy date night out. Even though it was all about Jim! He has been working so hard lately, so I guess I can give in to a guitar night out once in a while. I am really proud of him for enduring the night and not trying to talk me into buying one for him.

.

Something kind of cute though... on the way home, he did look over at me and say "I know that walnut burl wasn't very practical, but if I would have REALLY wanted it, you love me you would have said yes, right?"

He is so adorable, I love him!!

4 comments:

Della said...

What a wonderful story! Does this music store have a layaway plan?
Jim works so hard wouldn't it be great to be able to get this for him??????

Lindsey said...

Sounds like fun!! Mason said they did really good that night doing that.

M said...

My cousin got a Taylor acoustic guitar a couple months ago at a road show in california, he loves his guitar!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails