Search This Blog

Monday, June 15, 2009

Helaman Camp...

I have been on a little bit of a roller coaster the past couple of days. The teenager left for a week at Helaman Camp today. Yesterday early in the day my thoughts were... "why are they not leaving until Noon on Monday" (I really wanted him gone early in the morning, I needed him gone... asap! I was definitely ready for camp to begin).
.
Sunday afternoon, as we wrote parents letters to be delivered during their week at camp. Reflecting once again on this amazing kid and all the blessings he has brought into my life. I was beginning to feel like a week at camp would be a long time to have him gone, missing him already. Then all morning, I was torn, not wanting him to leave, but so excited for all he would experience this week. And really hoping he will share it with me when he gets home.
.
Finally he was gone... I thought I was ready for the week ahead, but when I got home from dropping him off... I was lost. Not sure what to do first, or next. In a downward spiral, I called a friend who's last son at home was also gone for the week to camp; hoping she would inspire me to greater heights.
.
She had turned me onto a "couch potato to 5k" program designed to help me learn to run intervals and build up to running a 5k. She asked if I had done my program this morning... of course I was in a funk and had only walked by my running shoes... avoiding the issue. So we went and did our run together, she is on week 5, and I was just moving up to week 3. So it was hard to get out and do it. But it totally helped me look at things from a new light, we would take turns running our own program and on the walks we just walked back to each other. It poured down rain on us, we got drenched. But I felt so much better, that I did something and moved. She makes me laugh and is so fun and kind and always looks at things with a positive twist. I love being around her.
.
So a downward spiral dodged and a new me, ready for a week without my teenager comes out of the ashes! I am so grateful for good friends and time alone to ponder and reflect without the daily responsibilities of my teenager. I will take some "me" time this week, and cherish the moments.

1 comment:

Donna Lynn said...

if the tip "You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with." - Jim Rohn

If this is true you are in good shape. Have a great day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails