Search This Blog

Friday, May 1, 2009

Good Mail...

The teenager had been waiting the entire week for this good mail to arrive.
He received a very special patriarchal blessing and had been waiting anxiously for the written copy of it to arrive. It was really neat to see his excitement about it.
.
We had tried to teach and prepare him about how special it was going to be for months and weeks leading up to the day, but just couldn't tell how he was taking it all in. When the day arrived, I was worried, he didn't seem to have the reverence I thought he would (or maybe should) as he prepared to receive something so special and personal.
.
Then as the hour approached he finally seemed to have a calm peace about him.
As we drove up to the Patriarch's home in the country, you could tell it was an old family homestead. The spring grass was sooo green, the animals all came to the edge of the fences to see who had arrived. You could tell they didn't get many visitors. The home was so quiet and peaceful and humble. I remember all the feelings I had arriving to the home to receive my own, and then with my husband to receive his, and I want to always remember the feelings I had with my son. Somehow not just the moment, but the whole day felt really special to me.
I was so anxious to hear his reaction afterwards, but like his Dad... he was pretty calm cool and collected about it all! I still wasn't sure how he was going to take it all in, and how it would impact him.
.
Then I began to wonder, if he would reflect on it, and treasure it as I have mine. Well I got my answer the next day... as he asked every single day if it had arrived in the mail.
.
It arrived in good timing, and he has been reading and pondering it ever since.
.
So cool, what a neat milestone in his life. It is such a blessing to watch him grow and develop and I am learning it is all good, even if it is not always exactly as I would have it; or think it should be.
.
He is such a good kid, and an amazing blessing in my life!
I am so full of joy that God has in trusted me with him, even for such a short time.... how do I apply for an extension? I just know the next couple of years just won't be enough!!!

2 comments:

patsy said...

OH my goodness! this is a beautiful post. Jack just got his reccomend for his last week. No appointment yet, I'm trying to let him do it himself......
Amazing how big these boys are-

Beth said...

It was really one of my biggest goals to "let him do it by himself"!!

It was a couple of months ago when we had another family home evening to teach about these special blessings, and it was then we reminded him if he was ready what steps he needed to take (the interview etc)... I had a feeling if he didn't get right on it he would not get his blessing from the same patriarch as his Dad (I just thought that would be cool). I tried to push those thoughts out of my mind he was really old, but still doing pretty good... I didn't want to think he would die or anything.

I wanted to push the teenager so badly, but I resisted (so hard)... then he finally got his interview appt. and that same Sunday before he could get his appt with the patriarch... a new one was called.

It was all good, and turned out fine! We immediately sustained him and he was WONDERFUL... it was his second blessing, so a little historical.

I am sure the teenager will never ever forget it and in part because he had to do everything to make it happen.

I am proud of you for letting Jack do it all, sounds easy, but not so much at times. They move very slowly in the eyes of an anxious proud mother huh!

Related Posts with Thumbnails