Search This Blog

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Flipping Sticks aka Archery...

This morning we made some last minute plans to go shoot an archery tournament. The teenager had golf plans and bailed out on us... (he officially has better things to do, than hang with us) but he was a good sport and joined in on the family self portrait before we split up and went our separate ways.
.
This trip we decided to take Taylor with us, to work on her training and see how she does with her obedience training in this kind of environment. She was really excited to get to "go"!We went over to the foothills above the Emmett Valley... it is so beautiful. But the ranges are super hilly... great workout today!
(you can see how small the people down below me look... it is quite a hike up some of the hills, with my equipment and a dog in tow. One shot was straight up the side of a hill shooting down on a critter, it actually make me dizzy and woozy looking down. That's crazy steep!)

This was a pretty straight forward shot, down in a draw.
Taylor was really good and began to get the hang of the pattern of hiking up, waiting while we took turns shooting, and hiking down, waiting in the down stay again, and hiking up. We were really proud of her and had so much fun with her.
My strong silent mysterious man taking a straight easy shot.
(I didn't get any pics of the hard shots, mostly because I was trying not to break an ankle, or fall down a hill side, dragging the dog and my shiny bow down with me... that would not be worth any picture... sorry Ansel Adams, I guess I am a wimp)
Here is Taylor towards the end of the 2nd range (there were 3 ranges with about 15 targets on each... so we were about 2/3rds of the way through at this point) she was really starting to mellow and mind us at this point.
When we got in the car she sprawled out across the entire back seat, and just tried to keep her eyes open.
She wasn't able to hold out very long before she finally dropped her head. It was so cute.
Then about 3 hours later, she was back in action playing with Rudy! I might take a little longer mustering up this kind of energy!
.
What a great day! I loved getting outside, the weather cooperated and was mild all day long, I only felt two raindrops, but it never turned into anything else. And I loved getting a great work out! I can tell I will feel it tomorrow, but it will be a good hurt!
.
But most of all, I really loved spending some quality time with my strong silent mysterious man! We had such a fun time together today!

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

That looks like so much fun....I wish Josh and I did something like that. Where were you guys at?

Beth said...

We were in Emmett, they set up the ranges in the foothills before you get into the valley... I think it is called freezeout hill.

It really has been such a fun activity... I love it.

Has Josh ever hunted with a bow? It would fit so well with your family; I see boys your kids age out there all the time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails