Search This Blog

Friday, February 20, 2009

Home cooked vs. eating out...


I was reading my sil's post how they had ordered take out food on Presidents Day and what a treat it was for their family. Apparently they never eat out (not too surprising, she is a GREAT cook and they are raising 6 kids and eating out is sooo expensive). First of all I was really jealous, we never get chinese food because my strong silent mysterious man doesn't eat it, but I was excited for them. But it really got me looking back at myself...
.
I am not the cook, I struggle with what to cook, new recipes, and picky eaters, I am also not a perfect house keeper, so cleaning the kitchen with piles of pots and pans and dishes waits until I am in the mood (I try and stay on top of it... I'm just not perfect at it daily yet), which is why I love crockpot cooking.
.
So eating out to me is awesome! We love to eat out. I love that it doesn't make a mess in my kitchen. But I felt bad after reading her post thinking my family doesn't get the home cooked meals that they should. I knew I was lacking on making desserts and treats for them (partly because they don't eat them and then I feel like they can't go to waste and I DON'T need them anymore). But when I read one Mom hadn't eaten out since October... I thought wow! We really are on the way far end of the spectrum than I thought we were. And when I do get in sync and make meals at home, most of them are super quick and easy throw together. Or sometimes we have grab your own... and it ends up being chips and cheese, or cereal or something really unhealthy thrown in the microwave.
.
We go through our budget often and keep in check the expense of eating out, and then cut way back, and then get lazy and find ourselves eating out more and more, then get a check on it, and this goes in cycles. Most of the time we are pretty good. But if we were better, I could really make the paycheck stretch that much farther! And I feel like that is part of my job, I want to be really good at it!
.
I was trying to decide what was causing us to fall into the cycle each time, and I think it is lack of planning. I have been reading up on food storage and shopping for sales to build your storage etc. And it seems the key is to plan menus (and sticking to it). I am not very good at this. At one time I did start a dry erase calendar in my pantry and start writing meals down on each day what we really like to eat (because I will make something really good and forget to ever make it again). Then I figured once I had like 30 meals written down, I would be okay to just pick a meal each night and I would have enough to chose from that it wouldn't feel like we were eating the same things over and over again. But then I never got it filled up and lost interest. I could finish that, every once in a while I do look at it when I just can't think of what to make for dinner and find something we love.
.
I get overwhelmed with trying to learn to coupon shop (I find they would have me buying things just because they are a good deal, not because we need that item). And planning meals around sale items, oh it just boggles my mind. I also think you have to KNOW your prices! I can only keep a few prices in my head, it's sad but I know what a good price for chili is... and cheese (big staple items in our house, and I only buy it on super good sales and stock up)... but most foods I don't know what is a good price, I really have to study. But I also hate dragging notebooks to the grocery store. I am sure if I can do it with chili, I can do it with everything else... it has just taken me a long time to get this far. One of my very favorite gifts ever, is a recipe book my sil made me years ago... it's full of tried and true recipes and has basic meals regular people would eat. I use it all the time, and it has been a life saver! I keep adding recipes that I try and we love. Most of the really good sites online for coupon shopping and saving money are from those Utah girls and most of that doesn't apply unless you are living in that area. I still find some good tips, but get frustrated too.
.
But I will not give up, I know it is a matter of learning and practicing what I learn.
I am very inspired by women who know their stuff and never buy things at regular price and have organized food storage, and make home cooked meals month after month, and always have cookies and cupcakes for family treats. I am so much better than I was when I was first married and didn't really know how to cook meals. But I still have a long way to go to make it a month without eating out. I feel like I will forever be mastering this art, and would love any tips and suggestions on how to do it better!

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

Wow... I think we are at your end of the spectrum cuz we eat out once a week.. usually just pizza or burgers but still. I like you struggle with things to make and it seems like every week we eat the same things... luckily as long as it is meat of some kind Josh doesn't seem to mind.

She Loves To Make said...

I love to eat out just because it is so fun to go out to eat. I am trying to learn the same thing you are! Let us know how it goes!

PaD said...

Jack loves to eat out. Maybe it's because I cook mostly vegetarian anymore. So we go to Carl's junior and I order a veggie burger or meatless burgers. They're pretty good. I can't hardly stand the smell of meat anymore. I still eat meat occassionally but then pay for it for a week or two. I use to take the school lunch program or menu for a month and use that for ideas. I don't know if they still have those anymore.

PaD said...

Check this site out for menu ideas.

http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/02/winter-monthly-menu-plan.html

PaD said...

You might like this site too.

http://inthemomentblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Eat%20it%20and%20Like%20It

patsy said...

we had dominoes tonight -
don't sweat it sis... seriously! I was trying to be positive in my post- but if I had more money... we would be eating out.
I guess it's not "more" money... just less lessons to pay for ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails