Search This Blog

Monday, December 1, 2008

Hershel ~ the deer...

---The boy's name Hershel \he(r)-shel\ is pronounced HER-schul. ---
---It is of Yiddish origin, and its meaning is "deer". ---
~
Well I am pretty sure I shouldn't name the deer. They say never name the cow or the pig you are about to butcher. But it seemed okay since I never knew him when he was bounding in the brush, and frolicking with the doe! And I thought it might help in my attempts to overcome my very very squeamish tendencies.
So Hershel it is!
~
Determined to learn the skill of cutting up our own meat ~ (hey you never know when you might need these things, times could get hard... this is the advice shoved down my throat by my strong silent mysterious man) we invite our expert buddy to come school us up. Everyone needs a deer expert buddy like this, this guy needs a metal badge to wear on his chest, in my opinion, he's tops. He has mentored my strong silent mysterious man through every step of this deer hunter adventure. And I am so grateful for him sharing his knowledge, so that we didn't have to do EVERYTHING the hard way. Because in the deer hunting world, most men keep everything a secret and to themselves. They are afraid if you know too much, you might get their big one that got away or something. Maybe I am exaggerating, but it's definitely not like swapping recipes! I am convinced this guy would give the shirt right off his back, he is a great friend to have!!
And my Mom reminded me for sure if anything will cure me of shuttering when I have to move raw turkey meat into a pan, this will do er'!

This is not butchering... there is some really precise cutting going on here...
I am so glad we are making this a family affair... nothing like togetherness...
I should have taken notes... between the 7th and 11th vertebrae... it's like the prime rib from your beef cow! Sounds like good stuff to me (maybe, just maybe if I keep telling myself... it will be love at first bite)
Now to the cutting of the steaks...
That's a perfect butterfly cut... looks just like a fillet to me!
Nice try, but he isn't going to do it ALL for us; now were on our own. He looks like he knows what he is doing so far...
I still can't believe this is on my kitchen counter... I will be a cowgirl, hunting, country chick yet!
Always the critics nearby...
And look at me, touching raw deer meat with my bare hands!
That looks like some professional jerky in the makings!
I was really pleased with myself!
.
We are learning allot together; and personally I am growing leaps and bounds, getting way out of my "box"!!! But like anything we do to push ourselves to grow, I am so amazed at the feeling of accomplishment and joy! I am bursting at the seems with joy right now!!!
.
I NEVER thought... but like they say, never say never!!!
It's so true!

3 comments:

patsy said...

I'm going to be sick

Beth said...

Sorry Patsy!

See I am doing really good, I have already lost touch with what is TOO GRAPHIC to post and what is still okay!

PaD said...

You're doing better at this than I would. I'm proud of you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails