Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Tuesday, I get Nene to myself...

Tuesday was my day alone with Nene, so we went into the city.... here is my favorite view!
The hustle and bustle with the capitol in the background...
We have been wanting to go to the Basque Museum and Cultural Center for a really long time, and every time she came to visit, we never seemed to be able to get it in. So we were really excited to finally make it there.
Two entire city blocks are saturated with Basque restaurants, and the Basque Market, and the cultural center with the museum. After talking to the locals and getting their reviews, we decided on this restaurant for some authentic Basque food.
I was trying to be adventurous, but feeling pretty timid.
It was so good! I was fairly safe with a Basque BLT (your standard blt with leg of lamb on homemade chibatta bread) and a salad with this awesome garlic dressing that they wouldn't reviel any secrets about, but so Yummy! I was glad to at least venture out and try it.

This is the oldest standing brick home in the city... used as a boarding house for many years to the sheep herders.

All throughout the sidewalks on these blocks were these songs (this one was about a dog named Pintto...

And phrases written in Basque...
I loved this one... couldn't read it, but I loved the way it layed out.
Inside the museum, there were also stories about the Basque being the first to whale hunt and learn to take the fat and get the oil from it. Lots of stories about ships going down with millions of dollars worth of this precious oil on them.
The display with some of the whale hunting tools was pretty cool...
But being a scouter mom, I was most impressed with this display of knots!!! Very impressive!!! ("Hey the teenager has used that one on the dogs a time or two")

On the way home from the city, we stopped at a vegetable stand; and met "Henry"... a cute little quail roaming around the shop. My Mom loves quail, so she noticed him right away, so I had to get his picture.

.

When we got home, the teenager was there to greet us, we rested for a short time. Then I got a call that someone had goofed up on the calendar and the week our Ward had signed up to feed the missionaries wasn't next week but this week. So they didn't have a place to eat. I have such a strong feeling about never turning them away. I just told her to send them over to my house. I will always feed them!

.

Because of my conversion story, I have learned to love the missionaries, and I have a great admiration for all they do while they commit 2 years of service for their Heavenly Father. And I cry when I say, I think of our missionary in Chile and would hope that if he was out and didn't have dinner tonight, that someone else feels the same way I do, and is taking him in. Or when my teenager is out there, that somehow this will be paid forward, and he will never be without dinner. It's a small thing, but it rings pretty true in my heart, so I just try to be true to my heart.

.

So the call came in at 4:55pm and they were coming at 5:30pm so they could leave in time for a baptismal interview at 6:30pm. Needless to say, as I whirl winded together some enchiladas, corn on the cob, re fried beans, and an apple crisp, I didn't get any pictures. Thanks to my Mom, I was able to pull this off in time to get them fed and out the door in time for their meeting.

.

It is always very cool to have them in our home!

.

It was a wonderful day... but today my Sister flies in. So I am really excited to see her and be with her for the rest of the week!

1 comment:

M said...

I really loved serving in Caldwell mainly because of you guys. Thanks so much for letting us come over and feeding us. Thanks so much for being there for me in Caldwell. I was struggling with Depression ther and because of you guys you helped make me happy. I literraly thank members from my mission like you! I consider you my Caldwell family away from home haha!

Related Posts with Thumbnails