Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Local Farmers Market...

I have lived in our small little town for 5 years now and always wanted to go to the farmers market put on during the summer months, but sadly I have never ever been!
One more of those really good intentions, that never came to pass...

Well I finally went, thanks to a friend... after we had driven by a sign when we were in the car together, and I mentioned I always wanted to go... she just came by last week and picked me up and took me!

It's very small, only about 15 booths with crafts and veggies from their farms, and a smoothie stand. But they are there every week faithfully and they act like it is the biggest thing going. I am sure it takes hours for them to prepare their items (because they are all so shiny... I just know they polish them off to get them ready to sell) and get set up and take down each week, but they do it and were smiling at each and every customer that came through.

Everything was so beautiful! It was hard to walk by and not purchase anything!

I really didn't know what to expect, and wasn't really prepared to buy something for a specific purpose, like a batch of peppers to make salsa or something. So I mostly looked.


After talking with the smoothie lady, I found out these tiny little melons were supposed to be the talk of the market...she said she buys two before she leaves every week to take home and have with her breakfasts , and they are really sweet and yummy, way better than any cantaloupe I could ever buy at the store.

That sounded like something I could just buy spontaneously and eat without having it go bad on my counter at home (I have lost way more veggies than I ever want to admit, so I am really careful to only buy what I will eat now). So I bought two, just in case the first one was soooo good, I wanted to have a back up. Since the market was not for another week.

They even have entertainment each week. It would be worth going, if only for that! I heard the week before they had a Spanish dance team, dancing in their traditional Spanish dresses... that would have been fun.

This weeks entertainment turned out to be our Mayor. I had met him when the teenager was working on his Eagle Scout Project for the City.

Who knew... he sings too! He didn't disappoint. Sounded just about like ol' Garth Brooks himself!

I had such a fun time at our little farmers market. It is very small, you could come by and do it in about 7.5 minutes... but if you take your time and talk to the people, you can learn so much about the community around you. I can't wait to go back again this week. I am so sad I have missed out on this all summer and it will be ending for the year before the month ends. But I guess better late than never.

.

Oh, and the little cantaloupe's... well when I got home, as I was walking up my driveway I looked to the left and to the right; and thought about my single neighbor ladies on each side and neither of them have gardens... then looked down and had two melons in my hands;

No, was too selfish to give them both away... I took one and delivered it; you would have thought I delivered a brick of gold. Then I brought the other home to eat for myself. Yes, I will have to work on the charity thing a little more. But it was the most yummy melon I had ever eaten... I want to go back and find out what they are so I can grow them in my garden next year! (another good intention I have been planning and working in my head for about 4 years now).

This week, I will be sure and pick up a baby cantaloupe to bring home for everyone!

4 comments:

patsy said...

I too have been wanting to go to the farmer's market! I rarely ever do... such a shame. I wonder if the have those same cantalope- I love cantalope!!!
way to do something you've been wanting to do- why is that so hard? I am exactly the same way?? silly - thanks for the inspiration- I think theres a farmers market in the city next to mine tomorrow, I'll try to work it in :)

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

That produce looks gorgeous! I have always wanted to go to a farmer's market and I never have... I think it is just that I avoid "unknowns" in general, although I don't know what could be intimidating about a Farmer's Market? They seem to be all around here so I think you have inspired me to finally go:)

Beth said...

Go! Go! It's fun to people watch too.

She Loves To Make said...

Markets are so fun! The produce looks awesome! I want to go to one now. P.S. Love your new blog layout. Super cute

Related Posts with Thumbnails