Search This Blog

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Harvest Blessings...

We have the bestest of friends who have shared their harvest with us... the corn earlier this week. And yesterday red potatoes and tomatoes!
I never thought about canning potatoes, but I guess it works and you can use them in stews or with beef, or mash them up into smashed potatoes... YUM!
So last night while the boys were at mutual I canned up the potatoes.

My bff and I split up the salsa and spaghetti sauce and each did one and then we will share some of each...
And the teenager mowed a lawn of some friends who have moved out of town, and they left their garden, but told him if anything came up on it's own he could bring it home... so he brought me a huge zucchini and some pumpkins. So I shredded up the zucchini and froze enough bags to pull out later and make 5 more batches of guess what...

Give me a Z! Yep... you got it... Zucchini bread!

It's allot of work, I was up later than normal finishing things up, but so worthwhile and full filling to have some of the fresh fall harvest all winter long.

I am so blessed to have someone special in my life who taught me how and really set me up with everything I needed to know to do this canning (thank you eternally Mom D), and some great friends who share their gardens with us!!

We are so blessed!!

---------------------------------------------------

Something funny now, but not so funny yesterday...

It has finally cooled off enough here that I could turn off the air conditioning and open windows and doors during the cool part of the day... and when the teenager came home from school I was in the kitchen at the sink looking out the window... and he actually drove up, parked the car, came in stepping over the puppy gate stretched across the front door and was able to sneak all the way into the house without ONE dog making a peep. He scared me half to death, I am sure you could hear me scream all the way across town! I hate being scared!

But he got me... it is kind of funny today, now that my heart is beating back to normal.

A good story for my fight to get a storm door with a lock on it, so I don't have a stranger sneak in on me right? Yeah, that's good, I will use that one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am impresssssed! If you had told me this story 20 years ago I would have never believed it. You've come a long babbby.

Lindsey said...

I think someone watches Rachel Ray!

M said...

Wow I am impressed the dogs didn't make a noise when Jake scared you. Haha Jake is a funny kid. You should scare him sometime. That is neat you have such kind friends who are willing to share their fruit/vegis from their garden with you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails