Search This Blog

Saturday, June 28, 2008

2nd Week of Obedience Class...

Thursday night was our second obedience class with Taylor... and with both of the boys working, I had to go by myself. I will be so happy when I have an extra set of hands to take some pictures!
-
There are all breeds of dogs, and there is just something so humorous about all of them being together in one place at one time being taught obedience.
-
Their little personalities start coming out, with a growl, or jumping up, or rolling over on their back, or trying to distract another to play with them, and then the owner is given a tool to deal with their behavior issues and SNAP! There is none of that behavior going on at obedience class. It is focus, focus, focus, not playtime!
-
So I only have a few minutes to giggle at all these dogs and their personalities before I am put to work. We worked so hard, over and over and over again. Back and forth on the leash until she gets it in her head.
-
Unfortunately with Taylor, she is really good at the beginning of class, but she doesn't not have a 2 hour attention span at anything. So by the end of class she is so done with all the training... we are at the park with all these dogs... LETS PLAY!!!!!!!
That is all that goes through her little head.
-
So I have to work harder with her at home... more homework, more distractions!
The instructor told me to put out open cans of cat food while I am training with her to give her some distraction while I am working with her.
-
The good news, all the homework we did last week paid off. She passed her 1st test and was able to go through two cones on a leash and keep the right distance... no more pulling or tugging on the leash with me. That is huge!!
-
The biggest thing I am learning is that we teach our dogs all kinds of bad things and behavior, so this training is really more for me than it is for her.
-
The other cool but scary thing I have learned from this class is that it applies to what we teach our children as much as it does our dogs.
-
Taylor is doing really well so far. I learned this week that we will only be on leashes for the next 5 weeks and then the rest of the class is off leash training!!
YIKES!!! Something about that just frightens me!!!!
We have lots of work to do, but so far so good.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails