Search This Blog

Saturday, June 28, 2008

David versus Goliath...


I have really struggled with my independence this past week. I like to feel like I am in control of things. I like to think I have a pretty good handle on things in my influence. But this week with my husband gone so many hours of the day and night I have realized how dependent I am on him. I have been crumbling in the gap of his absence, and almost blaming him.
-
It has been a sad surprise to me how out of control things have felt around our home without his presence. I have found that he is a big part of the glue that holds us together, I always thought that was me, so much to my surprise it has been him, or moreover, it really does take both of us complete the unit.
-
I don't know if it was the realization that I was so weak at this time in my life, or the realization that he was so strong at this time, or the fact that I didn't even notice and I was gliding along in my own bubble and not even noticing until he was gone.
Lack of humility... yep that will always get me into trouble!
Even worse, taking someone for granted... after all we have been through I told myself I would never ever do that... and I think that is just what I have done.
-
I was reading an article in the teenagers New Era magazine called "Meeting your Goliath". For David in the scriptures, he prevailed over his Goliath with a sling and a stone. But it challenges us to carefully look into our own lives and judge our courage and faith. Is there a Goliath in our lives?
-
Envy, greed, laziness, doubt, pride, lust, selfishness, discouragement, all spell Goliath. It could be very different for everyone. Our Goliaths we face do not diminish our strength, rather as we allow him to have power over us, we give him strength to take over.
-
We have been placed on earth not to fail or fall victim to temptations snare, but rather to succeed. So my Goliath (well as I examine, that would be plural Goliath's) must be conquered.
-
As the article read: David went to the brook and carefully selected five smooth stones with which he might meet his enemy. Just as he went to the brook, we have a source of supply in the Lord. What polished stones will we select to defeat the Goliath that is robbing us of our happiness by smothering our opportunities?
-
The stone of courage - will melt the fear.
The stone of effort - will bring down the indecision and procrastination.
The stone of humility - will diminish pride and envy.
The stone of prayer - will increase your self respect and give us strength to conquer.
The stone of love of duty - we should do our responsibilities with great love and care, even when we don't want to.
-
What a great way to analyze and think of our strengths and weaknesses... it was a great reminder for me to "pull it up by the bootstraps" as I always say (well I am not sure how often I say it, but that was always what I was taught), and get in there and get it done, and quit whinning about everything or falling victim.
-
I definitely have some huge Goliath's in my life to conquer and over come.
This week has been a great reminder to me of how those Goliaths can grow in strength and take over if we are not constantly going to our "brook" our source of strength and replenishing.

2 comments:

PaD said...

Hi Beth, tell Jacob Happy Birthday from me. I'm behind in sending card etc. I'll send in time for clothes shopping I hope. I love your blog so keep it up. Love, Mom D

Della said...

What inspiration you have given me to face my Goliaths! Beautiful thoughts of wisdom and words to open our eyes to what our life is really all about. Thank you. I love you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails