Search This Blog

Sunday, May 18, 2008

The finished rooms...

We almost finished up the decorating... still waiting on my strong silent mysterious man to hang a big mirror for me. And still looking for a few odds and ends pieces to fill in the plant shelves above the living room.
But here it is!
I have been trying to figure out forever how to incorporate the guitars into my decor without it looking like a music store. My very favorite part is the lighting, we have needed some brighter lighting in this room forever. The pictures don't do the new lighting any justice... it is beautiful with the guitars highlighted, and the pendant gives a softer glow, but we can still read the tiniest print from our scriptures. It is awesome!
Mom de-cluttered my bookshelves to help show off some of our favorite things.
I haven't found all the right things to put above them, but the vase is a good start, and the lighting up there really has a softening glow to the room.
We desperately needed more seating, so we took this old table I had in the garage and refinished it, then Mom gave it a face lift with gorilla glue and now we can use it as a bench for more seating. (If you don't know about gorilla glue... it's fabulous. We used it to secure around the legs on this table, and we could dance on it, it's so sturdy... Amazing stuff!!)

I was so happy to get the paint on the walls of this room, but Mom said to leave one wall a different color. Until we found the right thing to hang on this wall, we decided to leave it white. Then after we found this great fabric (they are actually table runners from Target), she thought any other color than white would take away from these lovely colors. So I will live with it for a while and then decide if I want a different color here or if I really love the white.

Not too many changes in the adjacent rooms, just a few touches here and there.

But it feels awesome to have things clean and orderly, organized and de-cluttered.

She helped me spruce up the back patio and yard with a few flowers in the hanging basket.

And on the porch...

We found a home for the bird houses my teenager made when he was younger.... I love them and wouldn't give anything for them. But had never gotten them hung up, they have been on the ground of the porch all this time.

Duh! In the tree... why didn't I think of that.

And we got a tomato plant started. Every year I think I want to plant a big garden, but by the time a few weeks of hot weather hit, I am tired of watering and dealing with anything outside in the heat. So I know that I will not be a good gardener.

So I had started with baby steps and have had potted gardens with a few tomatoes and peppers each year. This year I have been feeling so overwhelmed, I hadn't even been able to start that. So it feels great to have that going.

I am so happy to have some of these things in order at my house now. I could not have done any of it without my Mom. I love her and it has been a great mothers day gift to have her here this week. What great memories with her!

1 comment:

Johnna said...

Wow! The new look is fantastic.....! It was wonderful to see the pictures of your mom! Tell her that I said hello. I think of her often and was wondering if you would loan her out?:) (jk sort of.) I won't even try to reorganize my chaos! Love you tons......

Johnna

Related Posts with Thumbnails