Search This Blog

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Perfecting the Gravy...

One of "My Mans" favorite breakfasts is bisquits and gravy. This morning I had a church meeting early, and when I got home... the boys wanted some yummy warm breakfast. It sounded good because it is so cold outside here.
So while I was making the gravy, I got to thinking about my history of gravy making. It certainly was not anything I would have tackled in my first 10 years of marriage. But after that I became more confident in goofing up recipes, so I called my Mom to find out how to make it.
When I learned it was made from fat... it grossed me out. But being a true southern girl, I loved gravy myself and it would be worth getting over that little known fact.
Of all of the things I have learned to cook, gravy is not one that comes easy to me. But over time I have come to understand it's chemistry and I can make a batch without lumps now. I am still perfecting the other ingredients, it is not user friendly, and sometimes comes out too salty, or too bland. It is a process, and it takes tasting all along the way to get it right.
I still don't proclaim to be a good gravy maker, but I can cover a bisquit with something edible. I was thinking about how I am like making gravy... I started out adulthood with all the ingredients, but it wasn't a given that I would turn out right with just that.
I think I am like gravy, sometimes I am too much this, or too much that. But I keep working on myself, my talents, my shortcomings. And over some time, I am much better at getting through the day than I used to be. But I still needs lots of work, and fine tuning. I am not a good listener at times. I am working on that allot lately. I think I don't focus and have too many thoughts going through my head to remember the details of what someone else is telling me, I hear them, but it doesn't stick because I am moving on to the next thought before they are through.
Hopefully one of these days I will be really pleased with my gravy, and someday I will be able to look back on all the qualities I have worked on in my life and be really pleased how far I have come. In the meantime, I will remember the process and try to eliminate those ingredients that leave a bad taste in my mouth!
Bon Appetite!

3 comments:

Hailey said...

did you seriously take that picture, or is that off the internet? wow. that looks good. mmmmmm. . . something about the dayley's food is so good. You've definitely got it!

hailey

patsy said...

Beth- great post, but I think you're just right!

Beth said...

I wish that was one of my pictures... he he he. I used someone elses off the net.

I haven't been able to take many pics lately... I will get back into it soon.

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails