Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree....


Growing up in the Northwest, we ALWAYS had a fresh evergreen tree for Christmas. I loved picking out the biggest tallest tree that would reach to the very tip top of my parents cathedral ceilings. I always said I would never ever own an ugly fake tree.

Well my life changed, I found myself downsized, single mom, living in a small condo, and the world of fake trees had come along way. So with no man in the house to deal with the chopping down of the tree, and the carrying of the sappy sticky messy heavy, and in Seattle, almost always WET tree. I degrated to a fake tree, however I went to all lengths to make it seem like a real tree by lighting evergreen smelly candles everywhere!

Shortly after the first clean up and putting away of the fake tree, I was in love! It collapsed and boxed up so easily, and it gave me so much independence... I knew I could tackle anything. The next year set up, and my love relationship grew even more, and it grows deeper every year. I will never go back now.
My biggest Christmas shocker came last year when my Strong Silent Mysterious Man tells me he has never liked our tree too much. Now mind you, he has never helped, offered any opinions, suggestions, shopped, nothing towards bringing any Christmas Joy through decorations into the home to this point and all of a sudden he has this opinion about my tree.



"It is tooo hodge podge" he tells me. "Too many colors and no theme". No theme? I had collected bears my entire life, and had a million and two bear ornaments on this tree painstakingly draped with hand strung popcorn and white twinkle lights. And each year as Two J's brought home a handmade ornament, it was carefully added to the one from the previous year to cherish and reflect on his growth each year!


So my people pleasing skills take over, and since this is one of the hand full of opinions he has ever shared with me... and in my long term 14 year efforts to get him into the whole Christmas Decorating stuff. I decided I could make a change, and find out just what he thought was a beautiful tree and have that for him at Christmas time.


So my efforts last year did not earn up to any standards, much less mine with an attempt at a contemporary look with blue and silver. What a flop! I hated that tree!

Was I going to be able to find the look he wanted, and be happy myself? I wasn't sure, but I wanted to try. It would have been an easier task had I been willing to go spend any money on it. But to find a look on $1.99 in a box, was going to take some time.


I began again the day after Christmas last year... and thought about it all through the year. I would find a treasure here, and there, and then return them later. It was quite a process.


After a few trips into Walmart this year, looking at the Christmas decorations beginning in October... I was getting some ideas in my head. And by the time Thanksgiving came, I was ready... I was so excited. I had actually found a few 1.99 and less items to put together the perfect tree.


Thanksgiving came and went, Black Friday up early... and as soon as I got home, I was so anxious to put our tree together. My man had to work, and my son said it was too early, not even December yet, so I was on my own.

Since I was sure how "the look" would turn out... it didn't hurt my feelings this year to go it alone. That way I would only have myself to blame if it failed again.


One piece at a time... layering... ribbons and hanging each piece just in the right place, berries and twigs poking out in the most natural way. Then finally....

The Star! We always had an angel on top of our tree growing up, and I have bought so many tree toppings... there has never been one special one. This star had never made the cut before because it didn't light up... but it seemed to catch all the sparkle and the essence of "the look" this year!

We have enjoyed the tree so much this year. My man, silent as he is, hasn't commented much... but it has helped bring the spirit of Christmas into the home with it's glow.

There are no other decorations up yet. I will have to work on that when I get back from my trip to Seattle ~ leaving this morning ~ better go get packed!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always done a theam on my Christmas tree but since I met Ralph he likes the hodge podge look so mostly what I can say about my tree is it is very colorful and built with love.
Your tree looks wonderful Beth!!
(((HUGGGGS)) see you in Seattle soon!!

PaD said...

Have a great trip. Have lots of fun too. Are your two guys going with you?

patsy said...

Have a great trip. I like your tree. I can't believe your guy said anything at all- oh well, who knew? Your so sweet to be open to suggestions and try something new. What are the boys going to do without you & with a new puppy?

cliff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have to say I am nestalgic for all the little handmade ornaments Jacob made when he was little... I need an idea for something to do with those since they aren't going on the tree.

The boys stayed home with the dogs, and are just going to try and cover everything while I am away. They were both really sweet in letting me leave and so supportive, I am Thankfull and so blessd.

Related Posts with Thumbnails