Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Trouble in Paradise...

What a week... It started off when I lost my camera (finally found it carefully hidden under the seat of the car). This did not set a good tone for blogging though.
.
Then yesterday as I am walking out the door to a meeting with a client (all dressed in my business clothes)... I hear the sound of a waterfall??????
I went into the kitchen to find water; gallons and gallons of water flowing from the washer into my kitchen, pantry, and dining room, headed fast towards the carpet in the living room... about 2 inches deep... pouring.
.
I shut off the washer, the waterfall sound stopped, but the water was still rushing in every direction... in my stocking, now soaking wet feet, I start grabbing towels, clean, dirty anything I can find to soak up the water.
.
I feel like it is to a point where the water is sitting in the towels and I grab my briefcase and run out the door. I went and took minutes, photos, and paid the food bill and explained to the President the situation I had at home, and he excused me laughing and telling the entire group that he was worried about me this morning, but it was all good; because I have home owners insurance and was going back to deal with my water claim... sending all these insurance agents into a giggle at my expense.
To me... not so funny! Please don't say water damage claim... my husband will kill me.
I manage to get all the water soaked up off the floor, and had moved the washer, dryer and refrigerator to accomplish this. When I moved the dryer I found the venting system was not even in place. The dryer had been moved so many times, the hose to the outside was broken... so it was actually a blessing in disguise to finally discover why my house is soooo dusty, ALL THE TIME!!!When my strong silent mysterious man got home from work, he proceeded to pull out the washer to take a look, thinking the pump had probably gone out.
So trying to stay near by, but out of the way... I began to do some dishes in the kitchen... when some water was standing in the sink, I ran the garbage disposal and heard him yelling at me... STOP!!!!!!
.
As a burst of water spewed up like a geizer out of a pipe he was inspecting in his hand, drenching him in the process. It was then he realized our problem was much bigger than a bad pump on our washing machine. It was somehow connected to our kitchen sink?
.
Hmmmm... he looked at me and asked if I had put a bunch of food down the disposal AGAIN! I had just cleaned out the refrigerator the day before, but remembering the last clog experience with potato peels, I was really really careful to grind everything up really well and put the bad food down a little at a time and make sure it all washed away!!! REally CaREfuL!!!!
.
He walks away shaking his head at me... which sends me into a complete meltdown, crying because I knew I had really screwed up again. It is the worst feeling in the world to disappoint someone... horrible.
.
He comes back with our plumber neighbor... who ends up running a snake 50' down into our pipes.
The clog was finally cleared, and all systems were go!

But I am still getting this look; he can't believe I didn't learn my lesson the first time!
It took a couple of hours to get the entire mess cleaned up, as all the lint piling up under the dryer was pretty ugly as the flooding waters carried it across my kitchen floor. And it makes a huge mess when you have dirty dish water, and laundry water backing up into your house. I was bleaching and cleaning... that was my punishment. I will be washing wet towels for a few hours this morning too.
.
So I am trying to lay low, and stay out of trouble today!

6 comments:

Johnna said...

I hate garbage disposals. I think they were invented to cause problems.....Keep smiling...Love you!

She Loves To Make said...

Oh dear! That would've been so stressful! Love you!

Emily S said...

Beth, Don't be so hard on yourself. You are a wonderful person so tries hard. It happens to everyone all the time. Keep smiling. Make a better day today!

Beth said...

Thank you! Today is already going much much better... and my strong silent mysterious man is all better.

Lindsey said...

That doesn't sound like any fun... I have heard so many people tell horror stories about there garbage disposals... I don't have one and not sure I want one, lol.

M said...

I am so sorry to hear about the water mess. I hope you have a better day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails