Search This Blog

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sidetracked in Seattle...

Okay, back to blogging!
I got a little side tracked while I was in Seattle.
.
It felt so good to be able to be there for my parents.
I worked with Mom to get her independent before I had to leave and come home, and she was able to change her own dressing and mostly remembered not to use her right arm for anything more than eating... following doctors orders.
.
The night before I came home, Mom found an open wound on my Dad's foot (I won't post the pictures she took). He is diabetic and it was pretty big and really ugly looking. I couldn't imagine it didn't hurt like the dickens, but with the diabetes he has lost most of the feeling in his feet, and his eye sight isn't great, so he couldn't feel it or see it.
.
Since he is not easily panicked into seeing doctors I just tried to be straight forward and convince him, he had to go get it seen about immediately! He wanted to wait and do it with some other appointments next Tuesday... but that just wasn't an option... this wound looked really bad to me... and that was saying allot after what I had been looking at with my Mom's surgery.
.
I felt really uneasy leaving them limping along like this! Mom can't lift anything and Dad can't walk. They were going to have to work there strengths really well together to get by for another week. Not very settling.
.
I talked to my Mom on Friday, and my Dad drove them to the doctors office (yes the near blind man that can't walk... drove... ahhhh, putting my head in my hands) and the doctor said he had a diabetic foot ulcer. The good news is the tissue looked healthy around it and he thought they could get it healed, the bad news is he would have to stay off of his feet as much as possible.
.
I am confident everything will go fine, but in the meantime I pray... lots and lots of prayers!
.
It is good to be home, my strong silent mysterious man seemed to really miss me, and he is being really kind and loving and giving me lots of attention. I love being missed. They get along fine without me, so it is so nice he missed just being with me!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails