Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

District Golf Tournament...


Today is the district golf tournament. I have heard about this for days now, but I didn't quite know what it meant to my teenager until this morning.

I knew last week when he was going on and on about qualifying for districts, it was something different than just qualifying to play in their weekly tournament. I didn't know how, but there just seemed to be more competition in his voice than a normal tournament.

Obviously I knew district would encompass the entire area. But I am new to golf this year and just didn't know what it really meant to him. So after 3 days of qualifying, because he and 2 other teammates tied scores 3 times in a row. I was beginning to get a sense of the importance of getting to play at District.
After all the dust settled, he had made it... he was going to District!! Then yesterday at school he heard from another golfer that he wasn't on the list of names to be approved by the teachers to be released from class today to attend District.
He was panicking all day until he could talk to his coach at practice last night. Could this be true, was his teammate just goofing with him, was he still being punished for the "incident" last week, was it just a horrible mistake?
He was telling me about the rumor in the car on the way to practice, when his phone rang.... I could hear coach on the other end of the line.
"YOUR GOING TO DISTRICT, don't worry, your playing" it had all been some kind of misunderstanding, and she was getting approval from his teachers as they talked. It would be cleared up before tomorrow morning.

So I dropped him off at the school at 7am to get on the bus with his team and head to District. Tee time for him would be 10am.
He should be in his game right now.
He was so cute, rubbing his hands together waiting for the bus to arrive. I could tell he was nervous, anxious, and excited!
We went over his theme song he puts in his head to calm himself down before a match.
Clubs, check.
Shoes, check.
Gloves, check.
Hat, check.
Golf balls, check.
Theme song, check.
Lucky tee, check.
I really hope he has a great day! It has been a good experience to play on the High School Golf team for him overall.
Me, I am still adjusting to it all, and not getting to be there with him during a special event like this, doesn't make me happy. But it is probably important to increase my letting go skills, so he can grow up and be the man I have been teaching him to be.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails