Search This Blog

Friday, April 18, 2008

Taylor and Doctor Vet...

I had quit a traumatic experience this week...

During a normal routine day (if there is such a thing) I went to the back door to let the dogs go outside, and noticed my pin cushion on the ground. I picked it up and shook it at Taylor, assuming she had drug it out from somewhere. She is famous for finding slippers, stuffed animals or other soft items and dragging them out, but so far (knock on wood) she hasn't chewed anything except her toys and hasn't torn anything up. She has been so good that way, as far as puppies go.

So as I shook it at her and told her "that's not yours"... she dropped her ears and ducked her head, looking for forgiveness as Morgan stood next to her tall and proud... so I knew it was doings.

Then it hit me... oh my gosh, this is my pin cushion... and there are NO pins in it!!!

I frantically got on my hands and knees and looked all over the floor. I only found 3 or 4 in the living room. There were another 2 in the hallway. But there had been 20 or so in the cushion... where were the rest of them?

I looked at her... surely not?

I called my strong silent mysterious man at work, and he wasn't very happy with me, and no words of wisdom to help me in my panic.

So I called Doctor vets office, would there be anything I could give her if she had eaten the pins to help them through her stomach... these were my thoughts.

I had to wait for them to ask Doctor vet who was with another critter when I called.

It was only a few very short minutes, but it seemed like a lifetime as I continued to search the floor and outside for the rest of the pins.

Finally, Doctor Vet called me back. He said get her in her right away... we have to do xrays and find out for sure if she ingested anything.

So I load her up, and take her right over.... trying to be strong, but worried, frantic inside, and totally guilt ridden. How would I tell the teenager if something bad happened? It was a horrible drive...

We arrive and they swiftly take Taylor into the back room, and ask me to wait in the waiting room. This frightened me more than what I had already imagined over the past 30 min. It was proving to be difficult to keep my composure as other pets and their owners came in together.... my thoughts were all over the place. What if I had to leave without her? How would I even be able to do that? We have only had her in our family for a very very short time, and I knew I really liked her, but lets face it, she is high maintenance... a real pain at times. Oh my gosh, I suddenly couldn't imagine my life without her!!!! I couldn't stop the tears.

I walked outside to call my man and catch him up on the events.... he was really really not happy with me now! And me crying wasn't making any of that any better. I was at the vet alone, with my man mad at me, not knowing if I had killed my dog. And knowing he is really not a fan of vets... and his philosophy on pets that we don't spend good money on vets to fix them up... we take them out back and shoot them.
(I know it sounds pretty drama queen, but this was my reality at that moment).

After another century of waiting, Doctor Vet called me into the back room. I knew this wasn't good. If she was okay, he would have brought her out to me. This was bad, this was very bad!

He took me into a room alone, and explained in great detail the xray process, and how one xray from a lateral view might cause him to miss something as thin as a pin if it were turned in just a certain position... and went into more detail of how he performed the other 3 xrays. I finally said just give me the news!

He said there are no pins in her stomach!

Phew!! Really? So what was the bad news?

He was so concerned about how many xrays it took to be for absolute sure there were no pins.... He wanted to explain it all to me, I guess so I would be sure and pay the bill before I left. And... she had so much food in her stomach... we were feeding her too much. I told him she was a pig and blocked the other dogs off the food dish, but he said we would have to work harder at cutting her back.

So $170 later... we drove home together. I hate to think of the decisions I would have had to make, had she ingested the pins. I was just very very happy, she didn't.

So, after school I tell the teenager and he says "Mom, you can't leave your stuff out like that, you could have killed her"!!!!

I am just happy everything turned out okay, well... it could have been much worse anyway. It was a traumatic day. It made me realize we can't let our guard down. These animals are a huge responsibility, to me, but to our entire family. I thought I was being careful with her, but I guess not careful enough... we have to close doors and keep her out unless she is with us.

I love her, and I am so happy she is safe and sound... well safe. We are working on the soundness.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our dogs are out children, too. Mine said "isn't it time you got up for work?" I moved an inch and she instantly came to the head of the bed did a turn and curled up on my pillow laying on me. Yes it was time to get up.

M said...

Dogs are like little toddlers you can't leave anything out. I am sorry to hear about the experience, at least she's alright. I am considering moving to idaho now, I am struggling alot... anyways

Hailey said...

phew! i'm so glad she's okay. i remember once chloe swallowed a marble. :D goon head. she said it fell out of the sky into her mouth. that's how it always happens. . .

hailey

PaD said...

I am glad the puppy is okay. That is so scarey. I know what you mean about the man not wanting to spend any money on the dog. I guess it's a man thing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails