Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

SPT ~ Self Portrait Tuesday ~ if i had eyes in the back of my head


We've all heard that *mom*-like expression: "I've got eyes in the back of my head" (usually delivered as some sort of warning.) do you ever wonder what you would see if you actually DID have eyes in the back of your head??

this week, the challenge is to look past the "self" in the self-portrait, and focus on what's going on behind you. this is a great opportunity to practice using those eyes in the back of your head!

Well I already know what goes on behind my back with my teenager... I have an entire blog about it here.


Nothing new to report to date on this joker...


But this SPT ~ even though I am a day late on it, made me think about "looking back".

When I look back and focus on what is behind me... I think more in the past instead of what is directly behind me.

I don't often look back very deeply because I can always say "I wish I would have"... not that I think I have many regrets, because I don't. But I can always see ways of improving who I am, or how I went through a situation.

Most of the time, it is looking back and thinking "I wish I would have slowed down and enjoyed that moment more". I have allot of those when I look back. Some special days just go by so fast, and I am in the middle trying to capture them on film, or prepare and make it such a special day that I forget to slow down and actually savor the moment and enjoy it.

I am not even really good at looking back on my blog. My one year blogoversary is coming up in July, and I hope to add a "flashback Friday" to my week, where I can look back on the year before and see where I was and what I was doing or thinking about one year ago. That might be a fun way to look back.


We were a day late on Family Night this week, due to conflicts in schedules, and so last night we were discussing ways to prepare to go to the Temple. How we can keep ourselves worthy to attend the Temple, and the youth have a trip this week, so we talked about ways to prepare to attend a baptism session at the Temple.

We discussed Elder Dahlquists' talk in the April New Era and how staying close to and helping strengthen your family, helped us prepare to go to the Temple... how our homes can be places of holiness and strength. I have such a testimony of how my family strengthens me, and what a great blessing they are to me. I learn something from my teenager EVERY DAY, especially ways I can be a better person. We talked more specifically about how to be a peacemaker rather than to tease and fight. Being cheerful and doing your part to build a happy home. And to remember that "the family is the most sacred unit of the Church".

I shared that I think our family is very special to have a unique situation to actually remember the day we were sealed together. We came unto the gospel at different times and in different situations, and because of the different paths we came down to get to the Temple, while not the standard or the most sought after paths, it offered us that great blessing of having in our recent memories the day of our sealing as a family, and that is very unique. I think as a family we have to not take that for granted. We need to always be searching ways and recommitting ourselves so that we continue to "stand in holy places", and live worthy lives so that we can attend the Temple.

As I watch my niece prepare to go to the Temple and be sealed to her eternal companion, I look back on those special days for me. I am so excited for her to have a wonderful experience so that she will want to be in the Temple again and again with her husband. And to go there for answers and support and strength, and to feel the love and spirit of God in her heart always! (my niece and new nephew, aren't they adorable!)

So I guess as I look back, it helps me to look forward... so that I can live each day to it's fullest, with no regrets, and trying to be a better person. Striving to slow down and enjoy each moment. And live my life with more faith, patience, obedience, peace and happiness!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails