Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Boys growing up...

With the teenager growing in leaps and bounds at our house, this is a Dayley event (pun intended) at our house. When they are not wrestling they are doing this...
Back to back measuring to see who is taller.
When he was catching me in height, he would come do it with me and brag about how he was taller, even before he actually passed me. And I had to fight for my honor... it was very annoying.... but then when he passed me and it became evident, he was really past me, I had to give up the fight. At that time, it was only hopes and dreams for him to pass his Dad.

Now I am afraid it might be a close one... it may just be a matter of minutes before he passes up his Dad in height! Oh, I will be there for the historical event to take pictures for sure.
When he was really really little, my Mom gave me these school days frames to put his picture in from birth to age 6, and then from 1st grade to graduation... I love having a year by year view of how he has grown. It is funny to see the different hair styles, how he learned to pose and smile for the camera (you know those kindergarten pics are too funny grinning from ear to ear). And with this kid, you can see in his eyes the years his Dad and I were apart. It sounds kind of sad, but he too grew during that period of his life, and the smiles from that point forward are so genuine, it always surprises me how it shows up in his eyes.
-
I also have kept on the edge of the door, his height. We started it in the first house we bought... and when we moved I wanted to take the door with me, but instead My Man talked me into transferring it to paper and remarking it in our new house. So that worked well and we have his height all the way up now. It is a good place for me, because paper wears out... and if I put it on the wall, I might want to paint and would have to paint around it... on the edge of the door, I can see it when I want or close the door and it is private and personal. We include the date, and have one for the 1st day of school each year showing which grade he is going into that year... so it goes along with the pictures on the wall. It is a fun to reflect on!
They grow up so fast!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the best parts of the picture is Morgan watching Jim and Jacob. "here they go again..."

Anonymous said...

PS I think he has Jim beat..especially if he pulls up his pants

Beth said...

I know the dreaded pants falling off his waist, even with a belt... I hate that so much! ARRRRGGGGG!

Related Posts with Thumbnails