Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2007

Super Saturday...

We have a big Super Saturday at our church every year, where you can sign up and learn to make new crafts... it was a fun day of crafting and we had potluck soup (like 20 different soups to try) and rolls (the ladies here are so good about doing homemade rolls yummmmm). And they had a few demonstrations like soap making, 7 different popcorn recipes, quilting etc. I nice girl day without the boys...

Here are a few things I learned to make...

The Temple Picture is on a glass block which has been drilled with a hole to put lights inside, so when the lights are on it they shine through the picture (you could use any picture... it's just printed on paper and modge podged onto the glass). Super easy and
quick project.

The 3 leaves are just square blocks painted, sanded a little on the edges for effect, rubbed with a dark wood varnish, the leaves are stamped out of metal and then the whole thing is sprayed with clear varnish.

The red picture frame is a wooden frame (you can buy them unfinished at craft stores in all sizes and shapes) and it is covered with textured wallpaper, painted, sanded, wiped with a dark wood varnish, then painted with a clear varnish... this one was much harder because of all the steps... I think there were 30 more steps I just can't remember them all. It would be really pretty to do a wall in my house like this, but no way would I go through all the steps to get it looking right. But good idea for someone really ambitious.
This was a really easy project with vinyl cement, you can find all kinds of shape frames and then while the cement is wet you stamp whatever word(s) you want in them. I have a bookshelf with Believe in wood, so I wanted another word in cement to go with it... I thought for weeks for a good word and Saturday came and I still didn't have a good one to use.... I was kind of being picky, but because there is mostly boys in my home, it can't be too femanine, and I needed something they could relate to, that might be inspiring to them, and me as well... so I ended up with "Courage".
We have a rock garden in the front yard where I put most of the rocks that the boys bring home... it's a big garden, they bring home lots of rocks. So I made this stepping stone with our family name on it and some jewels.

The cement blocks, were super cute for gifts because you could customize them to any family... you could do house numbers, or anything. But I am thinking my brothers would really give me a hard time if I sent them cement blocks for Christmas... plus the postage would cost me a fortune! Oh, well.

Then the little soaps I learned to make, to put out for the holidays... they were super easy and cute too!

It was a fun day out... neat to learn new things and have a day out with other girls.

2 comments:

patsy said...

I have always wanted to make some of these bricks with the words. We had our super day last wednesday & I taught the simple gifts class. I HATE teaching a class at these things. It caused so much stress in my life I decided no matter what I am never doing it again. I don't know why but it mentally wiped me out.

Beth said...

I was in charge of a Super Sat a couple of years ago, and it took me a week to recover from it! It is exhausting! They are great, but really hard work... it takes tons of people helping to pull it off successfully.

I always feel bad for the ladies teaching, they seem to miss the whole day in their own little corners, and never get any breaks to eat or anything... so when I was planning one, I brought the Young Women in our Ward to my house a couple weeks ahead, and had them in groups of 3 per project, taught them the crafts and had them make one for themselves to take home (that was their reward) and then they taught the classes at the Super Saturday (with 3 they could relieve each other during the day)... they did a great job and none of the RS sisters had to miss out. It was stressful the first time, because it was a new concept for me to trust in them so much, but if I ever had to do it again, I would do that... and not be as stressed about it. The girls really stepped up to the plate, and they are way more resiliant than us!

This year, our classes weren't taught, they just printed the instructions and gave them to you to go do... I didn't like that at all, I am into hands on teaching for stuff like that, I don't want to read it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails