Search This Blog

Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July 2010...

It was a pretty quiet Fourth of July for us, especially since it fell on a Sunday this year.
Probably my favorite part of the day was singing The Star Spangled Banner at church, I loved that they had us stand to sing it. I think we should stand to sing all hymns, but I don't have kids to wrestle either.

We made some homemade ice cream, my first attempt at black licorice which was pretty good, not great, but good... and the teenager made some chocolate, which would have been super good except his last minute decision to put chocolate chips in it which accidentally turned it into chocolate chips with a little ice cream around it; it was pretty much wrecked, but a very small batch and he ate it anyway. I didn't have any charcoal briquettes so instead of the traditional grilled food, we had meatloaf and mashed potatoes and gravy.
I am so lame on traditions sometimes... but I felt good to have made a home cooked meal for my boys since I didn't have any church meetings (rare occasion these days)... so it was a personal victory for me.
Then since the boys didn't want to go watch fireworks anywhere... I spotted a few from the back porch. It really requires a tripod to get a good shot, but I managed to get something to remember the day and reflect on the freedoms we enjoy in this country.
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails