Search This Blog

Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering...

I think every American remembers where they were when they heard of the terrorist attacks on Sept 11th 2001. It was a day that changed so many lives and a day we should remember.
.
I was a single Mom living in the Seattle area. I had just got Jacob off to school, he was in the 4th grade. And while I was getting ready for work, my Mom was in SC and called me on the phone to turn on the tv.
.
I was confused... what could go so wrong that an airplane would hit a building in downtown New York? She was trying to get me to understand it could be terrorists.... I didn't even know what that meant, or felt like... I couldn't wrap my mind around it.
At that moment I watched with my own eyes the second plane hit.
.
My heart was crushing, I began to think of the places around us that could make Seattle a target as well, I choked up as fear filled my body. I couldn't imagine the world my son would be growing up in with that kind of anger and hatred around him. How could I, all by myself give him enough love?
.
I remember in the time to follow the many Americans who publicly fell to their knees in prayer, and then stood with their flags flying high united as a country to stand together. Stand to acknowledge that our flag meant something honorable to us. I have always loved our flag, and I always get emotional at any services that it is recognized in an honorable way.
.
I never want to forget what it meant on that day. And that our freedom comes at a very high price. I think I can say that without one single exception , Jacob has included the soldiers in every single family prayer he has offered since that day! That is 8 years, and it means so much to me!!
It makes me want to be better, I want to always "remember".

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails