Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Oven Cleaning/Smoke Detector checks...

I had been so on the ball this weekend... my freezer group exchange was coming up on Thursday. I had bought some pork roasts on a great sale last week. And put them in to slow cook in the oven over the weekend, since I knew I would be home to watch them.
.
The recipe I was using was for apple shredded pork roast sandwiches, and it required the roasts to be smothered in worchestershire sauce an brown sugar. So I got all 4 roasts going and in the middle of the process I noticed the pans I put them in were over flowing and all that gooky sticky sugar was pouring into the bottom of my oven. It was low enough temperature that it didn't smoke, and run us out of the house luckily!
(Note to self, buy a real roasting pan for the next oven roast fest... I usually use my crockpot!)
.
Anyway, I tried to get some paper towels to wipe out the puddles of goo... and it was a huge sticky mess!
.
I have learned lots of life lessons from reading blogs and remembered my SIL's smoke detector testing day last spring; and knew I better pick a good time when I could get everyone out of the house for my cleaning, and leave plenty of time for the smoke to clear... and be prepared to have a path for all the smoke, as not to cause any damage to my home. I got it!
So I made all necessary preparations... and even had the air flowing and ready to head out a small crack in the garage. And then began the process!

It was way more smoke than I had anticipated... my plan was working but, more fans would have to be brought in and the garage would have to go all the way up for this!!

I hope the neighbors don't call the fire dept when they see all this smoke pouring out of my house!

After about 45 min. the smoking stopped and the rest of the oven cleaning is going well.

Me and the dogs are all piled up in the other end of the house with the door closed... the rest of the house doesn't even smell so far, and no smoke detectors have been triggered. However, it is a much colder day outside and I have now dropped the temperature in the rest of my house down below 40 degrees, so we will be in blankets until it finishes and I can close up all the windows and doors. Hopefully it will be worth it to have a shiny clean oven!

4 comments:

Hailey said...

that happened to us! there was grease in our oven, so my my decided to clean it. we're lucky our house is still standing. :D that was an adventure i could have gone without. . .

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to put out the sheets of Bounce. It is amazing how that little sheet can grab any odor and get rid of it. Good job!

Can't wait to see what you do today!

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

That is intense... It makes me a little nervous to clean my oven.

Beth said...

Normal oven cleaning is not this dangerous... I should have probably gotten all the brown sugar goo out first.

Don't be afraid Aimee... I'm sure you use the right size pans for roasting and there is much much less dribble in the bottom of your oven to clean. It's okay, I had like an inch of goo and grease to burn out, therefore allot of smoke.

Maybe not one of my brightest ideas.

Oh! and don't put the drip pans from the stove inside the oven to clean them either. I learned that the hard way too (years ago)! It's too hot and burns all the coating off of them, they come out black and gross!

Related Posts with Thumbnails