Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

1st Car Accident...

Yesterday I got the second worst phone call a parent could ever receive (the very worst would be when you get the call from someone else)...

"Mom, can you come get me, I've been in an accident". The teenager called me, so calm and collected. He said there were no injuries and everyone was okay. I jumped in my car and got right over to him!!!
When I arrived on the scene... this is what I saw.

I almost couldn't get out of the car, I was in shock, my knees were shaking!
This was horrible! He was standing there and appeared to be safe, but I almost couldn't believe my eyes. Was he really okay?

Then I see a young woman about 18 years old sitting on the curb... I didn't know her, but from working with girls her age in the church, my heart sank! These kids must be scarred to death! They are so lucky!!!

After the officer was done talking to me, and I checked on my teenager, and gave him the biggest hug I had in me! I heard the girl couldn't get her mother on the phone, but had two ladies, maybe aunts or something, come to pick her up. They appeared from a distance to be very mad at her, and weren't giving her any breaks, scolding the entire time... like a coward I waited until they walked away from her, and then I approached her and asked her if she was okay? She said she was fine and thanked me for checking on her.

My heart was breaking for her, I wanted to give her the same big hug I had given my son! But it didn't seem appropriate, and she seemed to feel that I was very concerned about her. I guess that would have to be enough for now, even though it wasn't.

This was a non controlled intersection, and while it appears he was half way through the intersection when he was hit and pushed into this irrigation culvert on the other side of the road. We don't know how they will treat this accident yet.

Some witnesses came over and felt the need to tell me that my son was no speeding and was clearly into the intersection when he was hit from the side by the other car that was obviously not doing the speed limit by allot!!! (that seemed pretty clear to me by the damage, as the speed limit was 20mph... but nice of them to come forward. and it was very comforting to hear my teenager did not appear to be speeding... a mother worries about these things)

The front axle appeared to be broken, the inside of the car was squished and twisted, we couldn't even get the key out or turn it off. And none of the doors would open, he had to climb out of the window that was broken out and laying on the ground.

After the cars were loaded up, we were instructed that we could pick up a copy of the police report in a week at the station. There were no citations given at the scene.

The teenager was complaining about his hand.... so I took him over to the doctor from the accident. His Dad left work and came straight to meet us there.

I was never so happy to see him in my whole life. Something about having him there, every time "what that moment could have been for us" went through my mind, was comforting. I didn't want to keep experiencing those thoughts alone! It was breaking me down pretty fast.

This was huge! My strong silent mysterious man does NOT, I repeat, NOT do doctors... he was barely able to stay with me while I was delivering this child. And I think that was the last time he had stepped into a hospital or doctors office since.

Sure enough it was broken, so they put him in a temporary splint... and signed him up to see an orthopedic doctor the next day. It appears everything will heal and be fine at this point.

We all remember our 1st auto accident, and I am sure the teenager will always remember this one. I just hope I can forget it so I can begin to sleep again someday soon.

We are so grateful, it is obvious this could have ended much worse. We are certain Heavenly Father was watching over these young kids, and so grateful for his grace in our lives!!!

(p.s. the teenager did NOT want me to blog about this... but this is MY journal, and it was too much of an impact on our little family, and brought the blessings in our lives right up to the surface for us to be reminded, not to include it... sorry buddy)

8 comments:

patsy said...

Oh my gosh--
I'm so glad everyone is okay. Stress-!!
so sorry about the hand, but so happy that's all that's broken.

Jake- it happens to everyone- it's not your fault- sorry it had to happen to you.... you're lucky to have such great parents.

Lindsey said...

Wow Beth... I am so glad to hear Jake is okay! Someone was def. watching out for him. I had my license for 3 months when I was in my first accident... and I remember how scared i was.

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

I am so glad he was okay! So scary though... You are so sweet to talk to the girl who was in the accident, I am sure you made her feel a lot better.

Robert and Kristen said...

Accidents are scary things. My sister was in a pretty bad one a few years ago and everyone in my family was out of town. She had to call a neighbor to take care of her. It was such a relief for us to finally be there with her! I am so glad that everyone was okay. Sorry about your car though!

She Loves To Make said...

Accidents are so scary! I'm glad everyone was okay.

Anonymous said...

Ok now that we all know he is and will be fine and You will hopefully recover from the shock, There is plenty of time for Jake to get the hand back in shape to play golf without a big impact on his short game. Having a sore hand can often lead to a smoother putting and chipping stroke! Sorry Beth but once i knew he was ok I had to look for the really bright spot for you! BTW all is well here and my pacer is healing nicely just itches a lot, lol. Thank You God for your blessings!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had Jake in the picture of the crashed cars because I would have worried too if I saw how those cars looked and not seeing that he was up and walking.
Jim it was nice of you to have a bright side to add *giggle*
God bless and take care.
((((HUGGGGGS))))

M said...

Oh no! Poor Jacob and poor girl. It looks as though she hit him. I remember riding in that car of yours. Well I am glad to hear noonr was seriously hurt, Thats too bad he broke his arm.

Related Posts with Thumbnails