Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Quiet Sunset...

Last night after my Strong Silent Mysterious Man got home from his really long extended day at work, he announced he was going to bed early. It was all good, but even with just one child in the house, it can be challenging to keep things quiet enough for someone to sleep, as our pups really like to run and leap on the bed as you walk through the room. I guess it is their opportunity to get higher up and get a pat on the head as you walk by, they are harder to miss than when they are at a lower level. Anyway, pretty hard to stay asleep when a dog runs and leaps on top of you... much less three of them!
.
So I spent some time on the back porch trying to wear the dogs out so they would come inside and sleep or at least maybe be quiet.
.
I watched a beautiful sunset and then it dawned on me to grab my camera (I have gotten out of the habit of carrying it with me lately for some reason).
There wasn't much to take pictures of and I only had a partial view over the fence by the time I grabbed my camera... but I wanted to remember the peace, quiet and beauty of the moment! I don't often take time to be still and listen... it is comforting and helps me to see a little farther outside of my circle of influence when I do, especially when I grab my camera.

Something I love about photography is that when I am holding a camera it helps me see things with more compassion, and from a larger perspective... that doesn't always seem to be my own. I tend to see and feel things that God has created, or things I feel like he would love. It is a smaller view through the lense with much smaller periphial view, but it opens up so much more to my mind than what my eyes can see.

I was trying to decide if I liked sunrises or sunsets better. My flowers have a view of both from my porch and it was interesting to me that all of the blooms face and reach towards the sunset side of their pots.

.

I wonder if that has some significant hidden meaning?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures are great! After I read you blog from yesterday I ran to grab more water. I also walked with Roxx last night after walking at lunch.

M said...

Wow the last picture I was amazed by! I always take my camera everywhere I go. Anyways I have even started my online photo blog on here

www.woodsart.blogspot.com

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

I think I prefer sunsets to sunrises... although I cannot remember the last time I actually watched a sunrise. Those pictures are beautiful...

patsy said...

we got j's message on the phone last night!
hilarious- I brought trent in from riding his bike to hear it & he was beaming from ear to ear- 9.6 pretty high score there.
you guys are great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails