Search This Blog

Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Last Days of Spring Break...

So I got a little more progress from the teenager, in a most needed area...
HIS BEDROOM!

We started in the closet... and took out lots of clothes he had outgrown, games that didn't get played, the old dresser... it was a good space saver in there when his clothes were little, but now he needs more room for taller clothes to hang straight, and lots and lots of garbage and little tiny things that could not be identified, other than junk! weird!
We still have a long way to go... still can't see his bed, or the floor... but the fact that he let me in to help him, was progress!

This happened on Friday morning before he left to go play golf with his friends, and I have been up for two nights because my Strong Silent Mysterious Man thought instead of donating all the stuff we are cleaning out, we should have a garage sale... they go over really big here, and we could make some extra gas money. So I have been dreaming all night and tossing and turning on how to plan and organize a garage sale. The only thing solid I have come up with was

1) I will probably be doing it alone.

2) It won't be a garage sale... most definately a yard sale! I can't find my garage!
------------------

Friday night the teenager stayed with his bff Conor, so my Man and I went to dinner and enjoyed a peaceful evening together.

Saturday was another busy day, running errands, more golf practice for the teenager, sound checks for my Man performing in the evening, and a devotional for the young women for me to attend.

After my devotional, I ran to pick up the teenager from his job at the golf course, and we rushed over to the College of Idaho to support our main Man, who had been wrastled into playing in a Scottish Celtic Band with a bag piper friend he used to work with.

We have learned so much being friends with this guy, he is amazingly talented.

He has made his own pipes, a celtic drum (like bent the wood and stretched the canvas and everything), he sings, he plays several instruments, and in the spirit of his culture, he built a loom and is a self taught tartan weaver, and kilt maker... all this on the side of his regular job.

Here he is at the 4th of July parade last summer.


He helped us find our Keith family tartan from Scotland (on my husbands mothers side)... and taught us what all the colors mean in the plaid, it's all very interesting and lots and lots of cultural meaning behind everything!

Not all plaids are created equal... but I like this one! I could do a sash or wear a scarff made with this pattern.

So for Saturday night there was a big Celtic Night Concert at the Performing Arts Center at the College and our friend had recruited my Man to play song in a four piece band with him.

I am soooo mad I forgot my camera, we really had a good time, and saw the dance, and bag pipes, and all different kinds of performances. The teenager was originally just there to support his Dad, but ended up really getting into it. Very Cool!

We giggled a little because the dress for the evening was kilts, all the men were wearing kilts. My Man had already drawn the line before he ever signed up, he would not be wearing a kilt... however, much to my surprise, by the end of this most cultural evening, he leaned over and had this conversation with me...

SSMM - "I didn't know they came down so low and you could wear knee socks with them"

Me-"Yeah, they pretty much cover up everything but your knees, and you have nice knees"

SSMM - "I might could wear one of those... for the next gig"

Me - "Cool, I think they are kind of sexy"

SSMM - "I bet Tim would be thrilled to hear this and would make one for me"

Who knew he would have so much culture down under those faded Levi's and t-shirts. Don't worry, if he wears a kilt anywhere, I will be sure and take my camera!! It was a really fun night and a good time was had by all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is something to be said about mellowing out with age...have a great day with the family

Related Posts with Thumbnails