Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

1st year on the golf team....

The teenager has played baseball since he was 5 years old... I have hours and hours and discs and discs full of baseball games and pictures. We spent so much time with him at the baseball field and traveling to tournaments, it's crazy when I think back on it, but we all LOVE baseball.
-
This year, he decided to try out for the high school golf team. The season runs the same time as baseball, so he had to make a hard decision because he loves both. But in the end golf won him over. He made the team... whew! But there are many boys playing that were on the team last year, so he knew he would have to earn his way up the ladder to get to play in tournaments.
-
His first tournament was yesterday... his coach called him on Sunday to let him know he was playing on Monday and we didn't know at the time, if it was because everyone one else was in a body cast or he had earned the spot, it really didn't matter at that point... he was in the tournament!!!
-
We found out later that his practice scores from last week were good enough to earn him the slot to play on Monday, so that was cool. He was sooooo excited! I have had golf gear in my living room, cleaning, organizing, practicing putting... it has been nuts for the past 24 hours with anticipation.
-
He got his team shirt at school on Monday... very nice, and I am so excited they are not white!!! YIPEEE... I have been cleaning grass stains out of white baseball pants for way longer than I care to remember, so this is a really big deal for me!!!
When we arrived at the golf course, the competition was already there warming up on the putting green. So there was no way he was going to stop and let me get a picture of the new team shirt. But half the fun is teasing Mom and not letting her get any good pictures... I can see him grinning as he turns away telling me "NO, GO AWAY"!! I will interpret that as "I love you Mom, see ya" and not get my feelings hurt!!!
And I never realized what making the golf team would mean for us parents... it's not a big spectator sport at the high school level... so if I want any pictures... it would have to be at stalking distance from the car. So here he is with the competition, on the putting green warming up.
The new team shirts... they are so sharp!
And the happy teenager after the game. He really did have a great time... that's what he told me! He didn't play well, because he was sooooo nervous with every one's eyes on him. But he said he made some nice friends from his rival school, nice kids, with good golf etiquette. And he was really excited to play again... hoping he can earn another tournament spot before the season is over.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So they don't have a gallery following them around the course...I think they should and you could be the one to organize it so it is like professional golf. But then I am never one to sit in the car. Take care and let 2J know I am behind him all the way.

M said...

Aww thats cool Jake is on the High School golf team. I hope he does better. I miss you guys alot. I am coming to Idaho for 2-3 weeks in the summer, so I will have to stop by and see you

Lindsey said...

I love your Easter thing.... it makes me laugh!

patsy said...

Holy cow- that is so cool!! Being on the golf team is a very coveted thing here. Way to go Jake~ awesome

Related Posts with Thumbnails