Search This Blog

Friday, June 12, 2009

City Girl, turns "Back to Nature"...

This time of year when we mow the yard... for years I have complained about the tree limbs from the neighbors trees growing over the fence that produce berries that fall all over our grass. It just makes a huge mess when you are walking in them. The dogs eat them and get purple lips. The birds eat them, and spread purple poo all over the place that makes stains and has to be hosed off the house etc.
.
Our neighbor has told us they were not trees she planted, but that birds poo'd seeds there and they grew on their own. Now that they are big and huge, she doesn't want to cut them down, because they are great shade in her yard. But she has told us any branches coming over the fence we could cut back or do whatever we wanted.
.

Last year, she mentioned that the berries are pretty sweet and edible... my only thought was, "whew"... because my dogs had been eating them all this time.
.
This sounds really funny when I say it out loud now... because we have lived with this for over 5 years now. But I have fruit trees in my very own yard; and it's just now dawning on me that I should take advantage of the free fruit God gives us every year right in our own back yard.
.
I was looking out the kitchen window and I thought that is allot of berries, then remembered last year the neighbor saying they were edible... and I had a total light bulb moment... I should make a berry pie, or jam!
This was a very strange thought to be in my head... because I don't make either... ever!!! Well except for "the peach pie disaster" in March. But I don't count that as being a pie maker.

I am not sure what kind of berries they are... I think Mulberries. But I went out and picked a big bowl full. And put them on my cottage cheese, with some nuts and flax seeds this morning... and they are sooo yummy! Look at me, city girl turns back to nature... going out and picking my own food for breakfast. I might have to go buy a new pair of Birkenstocks today (a classic sandal from the 60's.. they remind me of those back to nature, flower child girls... although I do own a pair... ha ha ha)!

Don't laugh, but I have a plum tree on the side of my house too... that has only cause the same irritating annoyance to me mowing and cleaning up the mess; until this year... I might have to make plum jam! My MIL has been telling me for years that they are good and edible... it just never stuck in my head.
.
I am beginning to believe I limit my self tremendously by the thoughts in my mind. And it takes me a while to get my head out the way, so my heart can learn and I can grow as a person; but it does happen from time to time. I have been learning this principle over and over again this past year, and it is really a light bulb moment for me to understand it and carry it in my heart. It is changing how I see things, and the way that I believe in myself. I don't know who said this, but I love the quote...
.
"You can have Every Dream, that captures your Heart"!

2 comments:

Della said...

Beth your last three blogs have moved me to tears. It is so wonderful to know what it in your heart and what is happening in the day to day life of your beautiful family. I dearly love Uncle Fred and it was so good to hear from him. Be sure to get a picture of him enjoying frog legs and give him a big hug for me. I love you, Mom

Donna Lynn said...

You have to try them with Mom's WW cobbler. it is yummmmy

Related Posts with Thumbnails