Search This Blog

Monday, March 23, 2009

The coupon club...

I am learning to "coupon" shop... I always thought it took more time and energy than it was worth to use coupons.

.

But thanks to some really good friends, and super nice coupon bloggers who have shared their talents and knowledge; I am learning the value; and some of the skills it takes to seek out a thrifty deal! I can understand the concept of being able to stock up on some items when I can get them for less and not have to buy them again until they are on sale, and not having to pay regular price, but buying only when they are a great deal, because I don't HAVE to have it since I stocked up.
.
What a great way to get a home storage built up for pennies on the dollar. It is taking quit an education to learn how to find the thrifty deals, but today I felt my first real rewards from the time I have put into it.

Original price $152.14

I Saved $108.00 in combining coupons (doubled at 2 stores) and preferred card savings, and in store sales.

I paid $44.14

.

(I got 10 boxes of cereal (.90 ea), 20 cans of tomato sauce, 3 big bags of dog treats, shampoo, conditioner, mousse (free), Lysol disinfectant wipes (.99 ea), ziplock sandwich bags, fusion after shave (my goof... I thought it was shaving cream, the teenager should be shaving any day now... so I will keep it and spoil him with shaving balm for .50 ea), soft scrub scrubbie pads (free), excedrine menstral (free), chloraseptic sore throat relief liquid lozenges, tooth brushes, and 4 bags of Bliss chocolate candy (I thought the Easter Bunny might could use these).

.

AND an extra bonus I was really happy about...

.

Albertsons has a gas reward program that you earn discounts off gas for money you spend on groceries (and they use the price before the coupon savings...yippee), and I used my card to take advantage of those savings and I filled up my gas tank for $1.48 per gallon today!

.

My MIL will be so proud of me! She started teaching me everything she knew about saving pennies and building up home storage when we moved to Idaho almost 6 years ago, and it is just now all starting to come together for me in a bigger picture! Thanks Mom D for always being willing and patient teaching me all you know... I can't wait for canning season!

6 comments:

patsy said...

wow!!! I am so super impressed here!- I keep thinking I should go back to couponing but the lazy me just doesn't do it...

REally GREat stuff here

A Thrifty Mom said...

wow...nice job!
very impressive!
Sarah

Lindsey said...

WOW!! I have never used a coupon in my life but I may have to start... that savings is amazing... hehe that rhymed.

She Loves To Make said...

WOW! I can't believe you saved so much! I've never done the coupon shopping thing but it looks like it pays off! That's awesome.

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

That is amazing!

PaD said...

I am so proud of you. You did great!! I still remember my first big coupon saving. $138 cost me 30 something. Jack was so surprised. I had food everywhere. It is great to be able to do this. Keep up the great work. Love Mom D

Related Posts with Thumbnails